IX: The Breakdown

Friday, September 21st
1:30pm - Biology class

Percy scribbled down the notes from the board, knowing he would have to reteach himself this entire lesson later. His ADHD was kicking in more than usual at the moment, and he couldn't seem to focus. He also guessed it was the fact that Annabeth sat three seats to his left, and he couldn't stop glancing at her.

Ever since they started talking, especially on Saturday, Percy couldn't stop thinking about her. And the more he thought about it, the more he admired her. Percy couldn't imagine what it would be like in her situation. Pregnancy was a lot to deal with, even when you're an adult. Then, add school work, college applications, and fear of embarrassment, and not to mention that the father left. Annabeth might have been one of the strongest people he knew.

Mr. Leiman clicked to the next slide and Percy pulled his attention from Annabeth, scribbling down more notes. He then watched as Annabeth did the same, strands of her blonde hair falling out of her ponytail and into her face. Percy didn't know if it was that whole, pregnancy-glow-thing, but Annabeth looked... radiant. Her skin was clear and looked smooth. However, she looked sad. Her eyebrows were furrowed, and her mouth was pressed into a thin line. He noticed her swallow, and take a deep breath. Percy pulled his eyes away, just as Annabeth looked up. He knew he had been staring for too long. He silently cursed himself.

But he couldn't stop thinking: Was Annabeth okay?

Annabeth raised her hand. "Can I use the bathroom?" Her voice cracked. She hid it well, but Percy could tell she was about to cry. Mr. Leiman said yes, and Annabeth hurriedly walked out of the room, keeping her head down. Percy knew something was wrong.

"I need to go to the water fountain," Percy blurted out, shooting up out of his seat. His impulsiveness was also up there on the charts today. He felt everyone staring at him.

"Okay..." Mr. Leiman said, looking slightly confused and irritated that Percy had interrupted his lesson. Percy nearly ran out of the room, looking down the hallways. He ran after Annabeth, as she was about to turn the corner.

"Annabeth!" Percy called as quietly as possible. She didn't seem to hear him. He finally caught up to her, grabbing her arm. "Annabeth."

She turned around, tears streaking her face. Her eyes were wide, and just sad. It felt like a needle poking at Percy's heart. Her lips were slightly parted, as if she was trying to say something, but couldn't.

"What's wrong?" Percy asked. Annabeth blinked. He then looked around, seeing an empty classroom on the other side. Percy grabbed Annabeth's hand and pulled her through the door. He closed it as quietly as he could. "What happened?" He turned back to Annabeth, his eyes wide with concern.

"I can't do it," Annabeth said, her voice small. She shook her head. "I..." more tears leaked from her eyes. "I'm not ready to have a baby, I'm only 17. I-I need to go to college, get a job. And no one is gonna want me," she sniffled. "My body is never going to be the same, and no one is going to want someone who has a kid so young. People don't like baggage, and I feel bad calling this baby baggage, but that's what it is," she was talking so fast, Percy didn't know if she could breathe. She was very clearly frantic. "I can't do this, I can't have this baby." She finally looked up right into Percy's eyes.

They were silent for a few minutes, just staring into each other's eyes. Then Percy took both of Annabeth's hands in his.

"Annabeth," he said, trying to find the right words. He swallowed. "I know that you're scared. This is going to happen. You're going to have doubts, you're going to wish that you did things differently, you're going to kill yourself with the what-ifs. But remember the love that you felt when you had that ultrasound? Annabeth, things might seem impossible right now, but there is so much to look forward to." Percy gave her a small smile. "We've been going to school together for almost our entire lives, and we haven't been close, but, if there's anyone in this school, anyone that I know who can handle this, its you."

Annabeth sniffled. Percy resisted the urge to wipe the tears off her face. Instead, she brushed them away with her sleeves. She sighed, gaining her bearings. "Thank you," she said, her voice still quiet.

"You don't need to thank me," Percy insisted. "Just remember: things can always get better." Percy smiled at her, looking deep into her eyes.

"Okay," Annabeth said, nodding. "I really need to stop crying so much," she chuckled. Percy laughed. He was just happy to see a smile on her face again.

~*~

Friday, September 21st
2:30pm - the Goode High School hallways

"Hey guys!" Silena walked up to us. Annabeth, Thalia, Jason, Grover, Katie, and I were all standing around Annabeth's locker. "I'm having this thing tonight—super small, inner circle sorta thing—at my house. I was thinking we could go swimming one last time before we close my pool." Silena smiled at us. "Wanna come?"

"I'll go," Katie agreed. Jason and Grover said they would be there as well. Thalia and I looked at Annabeth.

"You promise it's inner circle only?" Annabeth asked.

"Yes, I promise. No one else is going to find out about this, and if they try to get in, security will remove them." Silena's mom was a famous figure in the cosmetic world. Aphrodite was a multi-millionaire, so, naturally, her house was absolutely gorgeous, and had personal security. But it was odd—Percy wasn't really in that group. Maybe he would see his other friends there too. He shrugged it off.

"Okay," Annabeth agreed a bit hesitantly.

"Awesome!" Silena cheered. "I'll see you guys at 5." Then she walked off down the hallway.

"I need to ask Annabeth something about the homework. In private," Percy quickly made an excuse, giving Thalia a look.

"Yes, me too," she said, slightly uncertainly. Then, she grabbed Annabeth's arm and dragged her off, Percy following close behind.

Once they were around the corner, Thalia stopped abruptly, startling Annabeth.

"What is this?" She asked. "Some sort of convention?" She might have been a bit upset after being dragged, unwillingly, down the hallway.

"Swimming? Are you sure? The first time we went you didn't want to." Thalia looked Annabeth.

"Well, I realize that I should live it up before I can't. Obviously, no drinking, and I'll wear a one piece. It'll be fine, I'm barely even showing. I'll just say that I'm bloated," Annabeth explained. Her plan was valid.

"We can all hang out if you want. I don't have to go if you want don't want me to," Percy offered. Honestly, he would love to spend time with Annabeth. He enjoyed their conversations. It was different with her.

"No, you can't," Annabeth insisted.

"If you're really sure," Thalia said, shrugging.

"I am. I need to have fun, and you should be able to as well. You guys shouldn't have to sit things out for me. This is good." Annabeth gave us both a small smile.

"I like you, Chase," Thalia smirked. Then she threw her arm around Annabeth's shoulders, making Percy smile and Annabeth chuckle. They headed back down the hallway.

Percy looked over at Annabeth, and he smiled down at her. "This should be fun."

•••