Tank Tops and Short Shorts

"What do you guys even do?"  Kadyn asked, picking at her cereal.  She hadn't looked at me all morning. 

        "What do you mean?  We work on our project,” I swallowed hard, "What else would we do?"  I asked her, staring at the floor. 

        "I dunno."  She dropped her spoon into the bowl.  "It's Brittany, there's really no telling what she's capable of."

        I turned in my chair and faced her.  I brought my hand up to her chin and made her look at me.  "Kadyn, what's really bothering you?  Why is it that you're so damn worried about that girl?"  I held my breath, looking deep into her soft brown eyes. 

        I wasn't really sure why I felt so damned guilty in this moment.  I mean, it's not like Brittany and i had done anything.  Okay, well, at least I hadn't done anything at that point.  

        Sometimes Brittany can be a bit ... flirty with me;  pushing her chest out and batting her eyelashes at me, and occasionally she'll brush my arm with her hand.  But other than that, nothing has happened.  But I knew how Kadyn felt about her.  Just as well as I knew how Brittany felt about Kadyn.  Brittany and I had to do our Spanish project together, though, and there's no changing that.  So Kadyn would just have to get used to it.

"Honestly?  She's a whole hell of a lot sexier than I am, and I just -- I can't compete with that girl.” 

I bit my lip and thought very carefully about what I was going to say next. 

“Kadyn,”  I sighed, “when are you going to learn, silly girl,” I smiled down at her.  “You are the only one for me.  I love you.  I will always love you, I feel nothing for Brittany,” emotionally.  I added internally.  “Okay, love?”  I pressed my lips together in a thin line as I waited for her to respond.

                “Okay,” she smiled up at me.  “I love you too.”

                I grinned before leaning down and kissing her softly.  “Good, ‘cause I’m not going anywhere any time soon, babe,” I looked down at my watch,   “emotionally, of course.  Because, I – uh.”

                She giggled lightly.  “I know, go work on your stupid project.”  She pulled me back in for another kiss.  I stood up and walked to her door.

                “I love you, Kadyn.”  I said truthfully.  “Have fun with the girls tonight, and I’ll see you later.”

                “Damn it!  I should know this.  To travel in Spanish is …” I bit my lip as I tried to remember the stupid translation.

                “Visitar.”  Brittany purred from the kitchen.

                I looked over at her from the couch and swallowed hard.  Why did she have to taunt me in those short shorts and that tank top?  I bit my lip as I looked over her.  She was in the kitchen, pouring a glass of water.  I watched as she got on her toes to get a glass off the top shelf in the cabinet.  I took a deep breath as I tore my eyes away. 

                I took my phone out of my pocket and texted Kadyn.  “I miss you, babe,” and shoved it back in my pocket.

                “Focus, you idiot.” 

                “What was that?”  Brittany asked as she sat down next to me, taking a drink of her water.

                I cleared my throat, looking down at the poster board covered in loose shards of paper.

                “Nothing, what’s the next –“

                “Krys, why are you with Kadyn?” 

                My eyes snapped up to hers, and my mouth fell open.  I knew she hated Kadyn, but I never thought she’d actually ask something like that.  I cleared my throat again and scratched the back of my head.  I looked down at the floor.  “Because I love her.”

                She laughed loudly.  She looked back at me, and once she realized I wasn’t joking, sat her glass on the table in front of us.  “Wait, you’re serious?”  She asked, shocked.

                “Yeah, what, why did you think I was with her?”

                “I just thought she was some kind of charity case at first, but then you finally got her in bed and she was fantastic.”  She shrugged.

                “What, no!  That’s not true!”

                “What?  So she isn’t fantastic in bed?”  She bit her lip, leaning closer to me.

                I sighed, realizing that she was trying to get a rise out of me.  “Brittany, that’s not what I said.  Can we get back to our project now?”  I raised an eyebrow at her, I had become a bit irritated at this point.

                Throughout the rest of the time I was at her house, she stayed on topic and didn’t make any more advances at me.

                “So I’ll see you Friday night, right?”  She bit her lip as she hung on her front door. 

                I stood outside her front door, facing her with my hands in my pocket.  I was pretty sure I had something planned for Friday, but I couldn’t seem to remember what it was.  I shrugged.  “Yeah, I’ll be here around 6.”  I turned and walked to my car.  I turned the key, started my car and turned on the radio for a moment.  The White Tie Affair’s The Enemy came on the radio, I immediately turned the radio back off and sat there in the driver’s seat for a moment.  I pulled my phone out of my pocket and called Kadyn.

                It rang three times before she picked up. 

              “Hey, baby.”  She said softly.  “What’s up?”  I could hear some soft music in the back ground. 

                “Hey, just leaving Brittany’s.  How is your little party?”  I asked.

                “Good!  Jacey is yelling at me to get off the phone, though.  I’m sorry,” she giggled and I heard Jacey yell something.

                “Alright, well.  I just wanted to tell you that I love you.”

                “Awe, I love you too, hon.” I could hear her smile in her voice, which made me smile too..

                “Good,” I chuckled, and hung up the phone.

                I sighed as I put my car in reverse and pulled out of Brittany’s driveway.

                “I am the luckiest guy in the world.”  I smiled, thinking of my gorgeous girlfriend.