Deathbeds

This one-shot is not based on this song, however, I thought that it suited this story a lot. Just a heads-up that this is very sad. Enjoy!

(tw: death)

"I likely do not have much time left at all... I don't even have enough energy to activate emperor time to heal my wounds," The blonde-haired man takes his phone out of his pocket, holding it in his bloodied palm.

Kurapika is slumped up against a brick wall, blood pooling below him on the concrete from his severe injuries. One of his blood-covered hands hovers over the gaping wound in his gut, unable to stop his own bleeding. Blood is spattered onto his face and the light in his eyes is very dull. One of his legs is shattered in several different areas, making it impossible for him to even stand if he wanted to.

He looks down at his cracked phone screen, trying to decide what his next course of action should be, "Should I call for help...?" The stubborn man shakes his head weakly at his own suggestion, saying to himself, "No there's not enough time. They certainly would not arrive quickly enough."

His eyes widen when he thinks of you and realizes he won't be able to see you again, "(Y/N), I'm so sorry... But I need to hear your voice. At least one last time."

He presses the 'call' on your contact information, receiving an answer from you only moments later, "Kurapika! Hey! I was just thinking of you! How did your mission go? Good, right?" You happily speak to him, blissfully unaware of his current situation.

A tired smile forms on his face, "Yes, good indeed."

"Great! I was really worried about you. I was really happy when I saw that it was you calling."

"How was your day, (Y/N)?" Kurapika casually asks you, holding his hand against his lethal wound.

You're surprised by his sudden casual question but have no qualms with answering it, "It was good, although I did burn the lunch I was making earlier. Why do you ask?"

"I was only curious," is his simple response, before asking you, "Did you finally finish the book I recommended for you?"

You hum a sound of affirmation, "Mhm, it was really good. Such a tragic ending for such a complex character. It made me a little sad though."

"Oh. ...Is that so?"

"Yes, definitely," You start, before worriedly asking him, "Are you tired, Kurapika? You sound exhausted."

He looks down at his wound, taking note of the blood seeping out of his gut and leaking down onto the ground below him, "Yes," He closes his eyes and lets out a breath, "I must admit that I feel completely drained."

"You should get some rest," You say, preparing to cut the call short for the poor boy, "We can talk after you relax and get some sleep."

"No-!" Kurapika desperately pleads with you, unwilling to part with you so soon, "Please stay on the line, (Y/N). I have something I need to say to you."

His sudden outburst catches you off-guard, "What do you need to say?"

The Kurta clears his throat, his voice growing weaker each time he speaks, "I know this may be selfish of me, nevertheless, I hope that you can forgive me, (Y/N). I have deep feelings for you. I've harbored these feelings towards you for quite some time now. You are the person that I care for and trust most in this world. I wish to thank you for staying by my side and supporting me for as long as you have. That is not a simple feat."

"Kurapika..." You're speechless, left in awe by his sudden confession, but you can't help but feel a tinge of happiness as you feel the same way towards him, "I had no idea... Of course, I understand your feelings very well. I feel the same way about you. You mean a lot to me. I don't know what I'd ever do without you."