Promises

(soft. so so soft. my annual birthday special.)

word count: 1,430

Tonight was supposed to be just another quiet night in for you.

The key word being was.

Instead, you now find yourself scouring through your medicine cabinet for your emergency first-aid kit even though you know very little about treating injuries.

About half an hour ago, your illusion of a calm night was completely shattered when there was a loud and panicked knock at your door. You had considered ignoring it, though your curiosity got the best of you. When you opened your door, all you could do was gasp and stare with wide-open eyes at the figure standing in your doorway.

Kurapika was standing in front of you, clutching his limp left arm, blood staining his white dress shirt. His face had several clear cuts and bruises and you could tell one of his eyes was almost swollen shut.

After a second of gawking, you rushed to his side, worriedly asking him, "Are you okay?? What happened??"

Kurapika smiled at you weakly as a form of reassurance, "I just happened to be in the area and I thought I would stop by."

You couldn't help but release a light chuckle and shake your head as you helped him drape his arm over your shoulder, "Oh yeah? And you just happened to be horribly injured?"

"Not horribly injured..." He replied in an effort to calm you, "However, I am in a fair amount of pain."

"God, let's get you inside so I can get you cleaned up. We'll take it nice and slow," You began slowly walking forward with Kurapika holding onto you for support.

You finally find your emergency first-aid kit after several minutes of rummaging through the cabinet and set it down on your bathroom counter. You tear off a paper towel and take out the hydrogen peroxide, rolling up Kurapika's sleeve to see the full extent of his injuries.

"These... are some really nasty cuts, you know?" You let out a disheartened sigh, "Okay, this is probably going to hurt so bear with me."

He nods once in agreement but still visibly flinches when the hydrogen peroxide is poured over his arm. You clean up his injuries, your touch gentle, treating him as if he's glass, which is a stark contrast to how blunt you usually are with him.

You bandage up his arm before moving on to the cuts on his face, lightly dabbing them with a paper towel, his face only inches from yours. His breath hitches in his throat when he realizes just how close you are to him but he stays quiet, not wanting to break your concentration.

A relieved sigh passes through your lips after you put the last bandage on him, "Alright, that should help. For now at least. I hope your arm isn't broken."

He makes a fist with his hand and it clearly causes him some pain but he doesn't seem very worried about it, "Thank you, (Y/N). I apologize for showing up unannounced in such a state."

"Don't apologize for that. I'm just glad you reached out to me for help," You stand back up straight and look him up and down, "You should probably rest so you're staying here for the night. Don't try to argue with me by the way, you won't win."

His mouth is parted slightly in surprise before he chuckles softly, "Yes, I suppose there's no convincing you of otherwise."

"That's right," You hold your hand out for him to take with a warm smile evident on your face, "Now come on, let's get you something to drink."

He takes your hand without a second thought and you lead him to the living room. You help him sit down on the sofa before leaving the room momentarily to bring him a glass of water.