Clouded

A quiet yawn escapes your lips as you reposition yourself slightly in bed, pulling the blankets up to your chin. Your eyes flutter closed again, prepared to relish in the luxury of being able to sleep in. A subtle movement from the other side of your bed is enough to make your eyes shoot back open, sitting up quickly.

When you went to sleep last night, the opposite side of your bed was cold and empty, however now it seems to be occupied by your blonde-haired lover. You watch him quietly, a soft smile forming on your face as you watch him sleep peacefully. You almost hesitate to reach out for him and gently nudge his shoulder.

"Kurapika," Your voice is barely above a whisper as you call out for him, "Why didn't you wake me up when you got home?"

Kurapika lets an involuntary groan escape his lips as he sits up sleepily, rubbing his eyes as he does, "I didn't want to wake you, my treasure," He lets out a small yawn before a tired smile forms on his face. He takes your hand in his and brings it up to his lips, pressing a soft kiss against your knuckles, "I missed you so much."

You instantly feel flustered, yet counter with, "I missed you more! I didn't expect you home so soon."

"Is that a problem, my dear?" He asks with a ghost of a smirk playing on his lips.

You shake your head fervently, "Of course not! I'm just happy you're safe," You scan him up and down now, making sure he didn't come home with any injuries.

Kurapika lets out a chuckle as he watches your eyes move up and down his body, "I am fine, (Y/N). I have no injuries to report of."

His statement earns a long sigh of relief from you, "I'm glad. I have no reason to worry then," Without warning, you throw yourself into his arms, wrapping your arms around his neck as you press your face into the crook of his shoulder, "I really missed you, Kurapika."

Kurapika rests his hands on the small of your back, rubbing gentle circles into your back as he presses a soft kiss against the top of your head, "I missed you an unfathomable amount, my love. I apologize for not being able to come home sooner."

"Don't apologize. I'm not going anywhere," Your words come out muffled as you're pressed against him, "Your mission went well I take it?"

"I had a few difficult obstacles but rest assured, I took care of them quickly," He runs his fingers through your hair delicately, "There's no need to burden yourself with my struggles."

You pull away from him, looking at him incredulously, "There most certainly is a need! I'm not going to stop worrying about you. It's physically impossible."

Kurapika pauses in surprise for a moment before a harmonious chuckle escapes his lips, "I suppose I can understand where you're coming from as I feel the same way about you."

"Good, I'm glad you're not trying to argue about it," You offer him a smug grin before wondering, "Should we get up and have some breakfast."

"Nothing would make me happier."

You find yourself sitting across from Kurapika, chatting with him happily as you both nibble on your assorted breakfast foods. You watch Kurapika closely, unable to shake the feeling that something is off about him. When you press him about your concerns, he only waves you off, assuring you that there is nothing to worry about.

Kurapika and you spend the day together, catching up and relaxing. It's not abnormal for Kurapika to disappear for long periods of time on various missions to receive his brethren's stolen eyes. He does, however, seem more exhausted each time he comes home, much to your dismay.

And this time has been no exception. In fact, he seems worse off than he ever has in the lengthy amount of time you've known the Kurta. Usually, after a few days, he starts to seem more like himself, nevertheless, it's been a week and his eyes are still bloodshot, his body still weak.