Kurapika's Birthday

Today you were given the task of bringing Kurapika to his birthday party while Leorio, Gon, Killua, and Alluka finish decorating. Leorio and you had rented out Kurapika's favorite cafe for a couple of hours to celebrate his birthday, along with inviting several of his closest friends as a surprise for him.

You stand outside of his apartment door, rereading Leorio's messages while you wait for the Kurta to finally emerge from his apartment. Leorio's text messages say that Kurapika should be meeting you any minute now, prompting you to glance up at the door again. You let out a sigh as you lean back against the wall behind you.

A few more minutes pass by before the door finally opens and Kurapika steps out of the apartment, "Hello, (Y/N). I apologize for keeping you waiting. I had some important work to finish."

"I've only been waiting for a few minutes so you don't need to apologize," You reply to him with a beaming smile on your face, "More importantly, happy birthday!"

Kurapika is caught off-guard for a moment before his look of surprise morphs into a soft smile, "Thank you, (Y/N). I'm happy to say that you are the first person to wish me a happy birthday today."

"Really?" You think for a second, coming to the realization that everyone is waiting to surprise him and say happy birthday at the cafe, "I'm sure more people will wish you a happy birthday before the end of the day."

"I do not mind if they don't," You give him a strange look prompting a stream of playful laughter to erupt from his lips, "If it was only you who wished me a happy birthday, then I would be just as happy as receiving birthday wishes from all of my friends."

"Do you mean that?"

He ruffles your hair gently, a warm smile on his face, "Yes, without a shadow of a doubt."

Your cellphone vibrates in your pocket, signaling that you've received a message from Leorio, "We should get going before we're late," You grab his hand and drag him off down the hallway.

Kurapika chuckles again, wondering, "Where exactly are you taking me, (Y/N)?"

"It's a surprise!"

You and Kurapika walk side-by-side down the sidewalk, the sun shining down onto both of you, while you talk about assorted topics. Kurapika watches you with a blinding smile on his face as he can't believe how lucky he has gotten to be able to spend his birthday with you. Truthfully, the Kurta was in disbelief when Leorio told him that he would be spending some quality alone time with the person he cares for most, however, he wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth. He finally comes to a halt when you stop in front of his favorite cafe with a wide smile on your face.

"Is this the surprise?" He asks you with a furrowed brow, "Dinner at my favorite cafe?"

You nod in confirmation, preparing to pull the door open for him, "That's part of it!"

Kurapika raises an eyebrow at you, hesitating for a moment before finally passing through the door and entering the dimly lit cafe. Each of his friends shouts "Surprise," almost simultaneously as they appear from their various hiding places.

Kurapika is completely taken aback by this, his mouth agape in surprise. His look of surprise quickly disappears when he takes note of his friend's smiling faces, "You did not have to do all this for-"

"Yes, we did!" Leorio slaps his friend on the back with a huge grin on his face, "This was all (Y/N)'s idea so don't forget to thank her, okay?"

"How thoughtful of her," He says as he glances at you with a grin on his face, "Thank you, (Y/N). This was incredibly kind of you."