A Birthday To Remember

"Kurapika! It's (Y/N)'s birthday tomorrow!!" Leorio exclaims to his blonde haired friend, "Did you know that?"

He slowly looks up from the book he was reading, and raises an eyebrow at him, "I did not. But, more importantly, how did you find out?"

"She told me on accident," Leorio rubs the back of his neck nervously, before perking back up, "I think we should do something for it!"

Kurapika hums in thought for a second, before gingerly saying, "It's likely that (Y/N) doesn't like to celebrate her birthday, since she never brings it up."

"You think so?" Kurapika nods in response, but Leorio ignores this, "I still think that we should do something for her!"

"You're pretty dense, aren't you, Leorio?" Kurapika bluntly wonders, closing his book in the process.

"Oi!! You don't have to be rude!" Leorio loudly exclaims. He crosses his arms, sulking as he looks away, "I just thought it would be a nice thing to do."

"Very well," Kurapika stands from his chair, and sets his book down on it, "I can see that I'm not going to deter you. In that case, why don't we do something small for her?"

"Yeah!!" Leorio's disposition instantly changes back to a happy one, "Do you have something in mind?"

Kurapika nods, before walking away from Leorio. He stops momentarily and turns around to face his tall friend again, gesturing for him to follow him, "Come with me."

"Oh, you don't know when you'll be home?" Your tone sounds unmistakably sad as you speak into the receiver of your cellphone.

Kurapika's voice quickly comes through the speaker in response, "I'm sorry, my treasure. I was hoping to return home to you by tonight, but it doesn't seem like that will be likely."

"That's okay, Kurapika," You start, trying not to sound too disheartened, "Just be safe."

"(Y/N).." He speaks in a gentle tone, "I apologize, but I don't think I can be home for your birthday. But I promise that we can celebrate when I do return."

"It's okay, Kurapika. I understand," You say, forcing a fake smile onto your face, "Don't worry too much about it."

Kurapika lets out a quiet sigh in response to this, "(Y/N), I do not want you to feel upset."

"Pika, don't worry," You try to reassure him, "I'm not upset. It's fine. I promise."

"Okay, my love. I can only hope that is truly the case." You can hear someone speaking to Kurapika in the background, "-Yes I understand." He lets out a sigh, before saying, "(Y/N), my treasure, I will have to call you back later."

"Alright. Don't work too hard. I love you."

"I love you, too. I'll call you again shortly." 

He hangs up the call, prompting you to let out an exasperated sigh, and lean back onto the couch, staring at your phone screen. The wallpaper is a cute picture of the both of you smiling. "I wish you could be here for my birthday, but I know you're busy.. I understand, but I still feel sad." You sigh again, moving to lay on the couch, "Guess I'll just watch a movie or something.."

"You think (Y/N) will like this?" Leorio asks with uncertainty in his tone, as his eyes scan over the scene in front of him. 

They have a small cake that says 'Happy birthday, (Y/N)' set onto a dining table, with a birthday banner hanging from the ceiling. There's also several birthday balloons scattered around the room. Leorio insisted on birthday hats, so they both wear colored hats on top of their heads. There's a few wrapped gifts, and colorful gifts bags set next to the cake on the table.