Moonlight Sonata (Music Teacher AU)

-I've decided that I'm going to turn this into a mini-series!  If I were to cover everything I wanted to in one chapter, this chapter would probably be about 10k words long. I'm still deciding if I would like to leave the mini-series in this book, or make a separate book for it. It's very likely that I may do both. Regardless, the first part will be here! What do you guys think? (I decided to make a new book for this mini series. Feel free to check it out.)

Dim sunlight floods into the room from the cracks of the curtains, gently illuminating the classic black piano sitting in the corner of the studio. Kurapika sits at the piano, his fingers hovering just above the keys as his eyes scan the sheet music in front of him. His sleeves are neatly rolled up, exposing his forearms, his hair tucked nicely behind his ears. He lets out a deep breath before closing his eyes and allowing his fingertips to fall onto keys. He plays a few notes before a knock sounds at his door, earning an annoyed huff from the blonde-haired man.

"Who could possibly be here at this time...?" He asks himself in a quiet voice as he stands up from the seat, walking towards the door with a furrowed brow.

He opens the door slightly to peek outside, finding a strange woman he's never seen before standing at his front door with several music books clutched tightly against her chest, "Can I help you, miss?"

In the presence of this good-looking man, you can't help but feel a little intimidated. His posture and tone of voice themselves already tell you that he's a very collected person. You avert your eyes from him, suddenly feeling bashful, "Y-yes. I was told that you were giving out music lessons. Is it possible for me to sign up?"

"Are you interested in playing the piano?" He questions you after studying the books in your hands.

You nod as confirmation to this, surprised by his keen eye, "Yes. I know how to play a little bit but I'm not very good," You scratch the back of your neck sheepishly, "Oh! And I know how to read sheet music!"

"That is a good start, however, I'm unfortunately no longer offering music lessons," He says to you with a face devoid of emotions, "You will have to go elsewhere," He moves to close the door on you, only to be stopped by you placing your foot in the doorway.

"Wait-!" You call out to him in hopes that he'll open his door again. Despite your cries, the blonde-haired man refuses to open the door any further than it already is, "A friend of mine told me to come here! He said that he and you are good friends."

"Is that so?" The man seems unamused by this, "What is your friend's name?"

"His name is Leorio. Leorio Paladiknight. I go to college with him," You explain to him, desperate for him to hear you out, "He told me you would make an exception for me."

An annoyed huff can be heard, the door still being held open the slightest bit by your foot, "He lied to you. I have no intentions of teaching anyone anymore. Please see yourself out."

"But-"

"I have nothing more to say to you," Comes the blonde-haired man's blunt response.

You let out a long sigh, hanging your head defeatedly, "Alright, I understand. I'm sorry for bothering you."

"Leorio is to blame, not you. This is very typical of him," The man says, earning a quiet chuckle from you.

"Yes, I'd have to agree. Thank you for your time, sir,"  You're about to remove your foot from the door when a realization stops you, "Actually, I just realized I don't even know your name. Can I know your name at least?"

A sigh can be heard before the door opens fully again, revealing the blonde-haired man to you once more. He extends his hand out for you to shake, "My name is Kurapika. It's nice to meet you. I apologize for my rude behavior when Leorio was truly the one at fault."

You give him a quick handshake, offering the man a small smile as you introduce yourself to him, "I'm (Y/N). Thank you for introducing yourself to me."

"There is no need to thank me. It was merely the polite thing to do," He feels a pang of guilt for his earlier brash behavior, "Would you like a cup of tea?"

"I don't want to impose. I'm sure you're very busy-"

"You would not be imposing in the slightest," He reassures you with a ghost of a smile on his face, "Consider it an apology."

You find your smile growing at his sincere behavior, "Then I would very much like that. Thank you, Kurapika."

He gestures to a small couch placed in the middle of the studio with a small glass coffee table sitting in front of it, "Please make yourself comfortable. I'll be back with your tea in a moment."

You thank him again as you sit down, setting your books down on the table in front of you. While he's busy preparing the tea, your eyes observe every inch of the studio very closely. You can tell that this man cares about music deeply from glancing around. Several bookshelves are lined with various music books and folders filled with sheet music. The piano itself looks likes it's played by him several times a day.

You're only drawn out of your thoughts when Kurapika sets down a teacup in front of you, sitting down beside you with his own cup in his hands, "I apologize for keeping you waiting, (Y/N). I hope you enjoy the tea."

You take a sip of the warm liquid, allowing yourself a smile after you taste it, "It's really good. Better than what I can make."

"I'm happy to hear that," His gaze falls on the music books sitting on the coffee table, "If you don't mind my asking, why are you interested in playing the piano?"

You avert your gaze from him, your eyes falling on the books instead, "I want to be able to play for a friend of mine."

He perks up an eyebrow at this, "A friend?"

"Yes. She recently lost her vision so I want to play pretty songs for her," You explain to him, still avoiding his gaze, "She used to play the piano but she's having a hard time adjusting to not having her eyesight," You frown as you continue speaking,  "Lately, all she does is lie in bed and cry. I thought if I learned how to play for her, it might cheer her up."

"I'm very sorry to hear that, (Y/N)," Kurapika starts, his tone of voice unreadable as he watches you with a distant look in his eyes, "Your cause for learning is very noble. I am certain she would be happy to hear that you're willing to learn how to play for her in the first place."

You close your eyes, the corners of your lips quirking upwards a tiny bit, "I think you'd be right about that but I'm still determined to learn how to play for her."

"Your resolution to learn how to play for her will be what helps you the most," Kurapika points out to you with a small smile playing on his lips, "I do not think you will have any problem learning how to play."

"I wish I could agree with you," You respond with a sheepish grin present on your face.

Kurapika lets out a long breath, glancing at his piano before glancing back at you, "With a teacher like me, I think you will do just fine."

Your eyes widen in surprise as you stare at him, "Does that mean-?"

"It would be my honor to teach you how to play the piano, (Y/N)," He bows his head to you slightly as he says this, "As long as you will allow me to."

"Of course I will! Thank you so much, Kurapika!" You exclaim with a genuine smile etched onto your face as you pull him into a short hug, "This means a lot to me."

The Kurta finds himself smiling, placing a hand on the small of your back as he reciprocates your hug, "There is no need to thank me," You pull away from the hug with a beaming smile on your face, leaving Kurapika to watch you with a look of awe before he shakes his head, "It is the right thing to do."

"You're a good person, Kurapika."

"I wish there was some truth to that," The blonde-haired man says with a hint of sadness in his eyes. When he looks up at you again, the sadness has disappeared from his eyes, instead, a small smile graces his lips, "Would you be willing to start your lessons tomorrow?"