Beach Insecurities

"Is it too late to say no?" You ask the blonde-haired man who walks along the sidewalk beside you.

It's a bright, sunny day outside, the blue sky unbothered by the lack of clouds to be found. The weather had been getting much hotter this week, letting everyone know that summer had truly arrived. The warm weather was a welcome change until Leorio had invited Kurapika and yourself on a trip to the beach. You don't have anything against Leorio, or trips to the beach for that matter; but it's been a while since you've last worn a swimsuit in public.

You had tried on your bathing suit in the bathroom this morning before you had set out for the beach with your boyfriend by your side. Looking at yourself in the mirror only made you sigh, suddenly wishing that you had turned down Leorio's invitation. You decided to wear a baggy t-shirt and some shorts over your bathing suit in hopes that you could get away with avoiding going swimming altogether.

"We're nearly at the beach already, my treasure," Kurapika's reply accompanied by a playful chuckle pulls you out of your thought-induced trance. His gaze falls on you as he gives your hand a gentle squeeze, "If you truly want, we can turn around and tell Leorio something came up."

You let out a long breath, shaking your head in response to his suggestion, "No, we can't do that. He'd be heartbroken."

"He would get over it," Kurapika reassures you, "The decision is up to you."

"It's fine. We're already almost there, anyway," You respond with a small smile on your face, "It's going to be fun!"

"My treasure, I can tell when something is bothering you. There is no need to hide it from me," He tightens his grip on your hand as reassurance that he's here for you, "I won't force you to talk about it if you don't wish to, however, just know that you can always rely on me."

You let out a sigh of relief, a weight seemingly being lifted from your shoulders, "Thank you, Kurapika. I feel a lot better after hearing you say that."

"I mean it, (Y/N). I'm always here for you," He pulls your hand up to his lips to press a soft kiss against your knuckles, "Never forget that."

"I really appreciate that, my love. Thank you."

As you and Kurapika approach the beach entrance, the sound of the waves splashing against the shore and seagulls squawking becomes more apparent. You can already see Leorio waving you both over whilst calling out your names, "Kurapika! (Y/N)! I'm over here!!"

Kurapika lets out an annoyed sigh as he averts his eyes from his lanky friend, "Perhaps if we ignore him, he'll leave us alone."

"I can hear you!!" Comes Leorio's obnoxiously loud yells of anger. Afterward, he crosses his arms, sulking as he sits down on his towel cross-legged.

Leorio only stops sulking when you and Kurapika approach him, a smile on your face as you greet him, "Sorry, we're late, Leorio. Thanks for inviting us."

"No need to apologize! I'm happy you two showed up!" He looks you both up and down before asking you with furrowed brows, "Are you not planning on going swimming, (Y/N)?"

You look away from him, silently thinking to yourself, 'That just had to be the first thing he asked,' Your gaze falls on him again as you force a smile back onto your face, "I might swim later. I just wore my swimsuit under my clothes."

Leorio is wearing just his swim trunks, his abdomen completely bare, while Kurapika wears his swim trunks paired with an unzipped jacket and his sandals. You can't help but feel a little out of place standing next to them both. 

Kurapika wraps an arm around your shoulders gently, "There's no need to go swimming if you don't wish to, my treasure."

You look down, avoiding both of their gazes as your voice comes out weakly, "I do but I-" Your sentence falls off as you shake your head, shaking off your worries, "Do you guys need any sunscreen?" You ask them happily as you begin going through the tote hanging off of your arm.

"Yeah! Can I use some? I don't wanna get sunburnt!" Leorio enthusiastically replies to your question, engaging in a conversation with you while Kurapika watches you with a worried look etched onto his face. 

You, Leorio, and Kurapika spend some time sitting on the beach, talking while having a drink. Kurapika and yourself share a towel, sitting very close to each other while Leorio has his own towel and umbrella set up for himself. Leorio tries to get a few girl's phone numbers, only earning rejections in response. 

After a few hours of hanging out, Leorio finally invites you and Kurapika to come and swim with him, "We should swim before it starts to get dark! Come on!" He grabs one of Kurapika and your hands, trying to drag both of you with him to the splashing waves in front of you.

You pull Leorio's hand off of you, offering him a forced smile in response, "You two can go ahead. I should go change first."

"Are you certain, my love? We don't mind waiting for you," Kurapika's eyes are full of concern as he asks you this.

"Mhm. I'll join you in a second," With that being said, you turn around to find the changing rooms, letting out a deep breath once you enter the room. You slip out of your shorts and shirt, letting out a sigh when you take a long look at yourself in the mirror, "Maybe I should just tell them I don't feel like swimming."

A knock on the changing room door quiets your thoughts, "(Y/N), may I come in?"

Your eyes widen in surprise. You weren't expecting Kurapika to follow you to the changing room and you surely weren't prepared for him to see you like this, "Just one second!" You reach for your oversized shirt, but his voice stops you in your tracks.

"(Y/N), my treasure, I know that you're feeling insecure and I would like to tell you that you have no reason to worry," He starts, his voice partially muffled from behind the door, "You do not have to force yourself to do anything. The last thing that I want is for you to feel uncomfortable."

You let out a sigh, as you quietly ask him, "You could tell?"

"Yes, it was fairly obvious, however, I'd like to apologize for not realizing how you were feeling sooner," His tone of voice is soft and reassuring as he comforts you, "(Y/N), this should be obvious to you, but I find you completely breathtaking. Nothing could ever change that. You are the most stunning person that I have ever laid eyes on. Besides that, what I value most is your amazing personality."

Your mouth is left partially agape by his loving words. After a moment of stunned silence, you unlock the changing room door, slowly pulling it open to reveal yourself to the blonde-haired man.

Kurapika was completely unprepared for the sight in front of him, his face instantly turning beet red as he takes in your appearance. After several moments, he looks away from you and clears his throat, "Y-you look beautiful. You amaze me every day, (Y/N)."

You feel your own cheeks heat up at his compliments, unable to hide the sheepish smile that overtakes your face, "Thank you, Kurapika. You know just what to say."

"There is no need to thank me. I'm merely speaking truths," He replies, obviously happy to see you feeling more confident in yourself, "I cannot fathom how I got so lucky. You are incredibly beautiful in both looks and personality."

You let out a playful laugh as you wrap your arms around his neck and press a quick peck against his lips, "Thank you, Kurapika, but I think I'm the lucky one."

"I beg to differ."

"Should we catch up to Leorio?" You question Kurapika, "He's probably waiting for us."

"Let him wait," He leans in to feverishly press his lips against yours, pulling away seconds later, leaving you very flustered, "You are far more important."