Singing

"So take from me, what you want, what you need"

Kurapika's ears perk up at the sound of angelic singing echoing from down the hallway. He looks around curiously before taking quiet and cautious steps towards the direction of the sound. He finds himself stopping in front of the bathroom door, your singing can be heard softly accompanied by the sound of the shower running. 

The blonde-haired man finds himself in a trance-like state as he stands in place, his eyes drawn to the bathroom door in front of him. He knows he shouldn't eavesdrop on your alone time but for some reason he finds himself glued in place. His shoulder muscles relax and he feels the stress and concerns of his other plights melt away. 

Your singing continues until the song playing in the background ends and a much faster-paced song starts playing instead. Kurapika snaps out of his relaxed stupor and shakes his head, a gentle smile playing on his lips as he glances back at the door once more before walking away.

The next time he hears you singing in the shower is purely on accident, but again, he finds himself unable to walk away, listening intently as you sing the same song from before. When your singing quiets down and the shower turns off, Kurapika turns and rushes off, his face slightly flushed from the thought of you catching him.

This becomes a normal occurrence for the Kurta. He finds himself lingering in the hallway near the bathroom when you shower, hoping to hear your melodic singing voice. Something about hearing your soft tone of voice calms him down immensely, yet he has never heard you sing outside of the shower. This leaves Kurapika to wonder if you're insecure about your singing abilities.

Lately, you've become stressed over college work and exams you have coming up, which Kurapika has easily taken notice of even though you haven't voiced your concerns to him. Your singing in the shower has also become scarce as your mind has been preoccupied with other things. He can't help but worry about the person he cares for so dearly.

You're sitting at the desk in your bedroom, your laptop open with several textbooks and papers littering the desktop. You're scribbling something down hurriedly in a notebook as you read some text on your screen. Your hair is messy, your clothes disheveled, and your eyes are red from a copious amount of time spent staring at a computer screen paired with a lack of sleep.

"My treasure, I know that you have a lot to do, however, I believe it would be in your best interest to get some rest," He stands beside you now, hovering over you with eyes full of concern. As he watches you, he can't help but wonder, 'Is this how (Y/N) feels when she sees me overworking myself? I must apologize to her for that later.'

You continue what you're doing without bothering to look up at him, "I can't. I have to pass this exam or I'll fail the class. Just go to bed without me."

Kurapika sets a gentle hand on your shoulder, "(Y/N), I understand your concerns and I admire you for working so hard, but this cannot be healthy by any means."

"I'll be fine, Kurapika. Thank you for worrying about me."

"You will not be fine," He squeezes your shoulder, "Come and get some rest. It will be easier for you to focus after you rest your mind."

"Kurapika, I really can't afford to do that," You let out a huff as you pause what you're doing and turn to face him, "This is really important. I can't waste a second on anything but studying."

"Sleep is important, too," Kurapika points out to you, calmly, "As is taking care of yourself in general."

You shake your head at him as you argue back, "I can sleep and take care of myself after I pass this exam. I really need to get back to work."

"(Y/N), I would rather you fail the exam than self-destruct like this. Please remember that you can always retake this class if you fail," He caresses your cheek with his free hand and you instinctively melt into his loving touch, "Your mental health is much more important."

"Kurapika-"

"I promise that you will be fine even if you do fail, although I think the likelihood of you passing is much higher. Nobody will hold it against you if you need to retake the class. I love you and I care so deeply about you. Please do not do this to yourself."

You let out a long sigh and look down, your eyes filling with water as you refuse to meet his tender gaze. Your voice is faint as you reply, "Thank you, Kurapika. I think you're right."

He kneels down in front of you, placing both of his hands on either side of your face as he gently wipes away your tears with his thumbs. He offers you a reassuring smile as he tries to comfort you, "Thank you for hearing me out, my love. Let's get some rest."

You only nod in response, failing to suppress a sniffle.

The blonde-haired man helps you into bed and wastes no time in wrapping his arms around you and holding you flush against him. He rubs gentle circles into your back as you cry quietly into his chest, finally letting out all of your pent-up stress from the past couple of weeks. 

He runs one hand through your hair softly as he presses a kiss to the top of your head. Truthfully, seeing you like this breaks his heart immensely, however, all he wants to do is comfort you and reassure you that no matter what everything will be okay. He wants you to realize that he will always be there for you just as you've done for him. He racks his brain for ways to comfort you before something finally comes to mind. 

He closes his eyes and lets out a deep breath as he begins quietly singing to you, "So take from me, what you want, what you need"

He sings to you the same song he's heard you sing in the shower so many times before. Your loving partner has memorized all of the lyrics just from hearing you sing it so many times. His voice is so soft and soothing that you can't help but feel in awe of him, your tears finally ceasing to fall. 

After he finishes the song, you pull away from him slightly to look up at him, "How do you know that song? Have I played it for you before?"

He looks away bashfully, his cheeks flushed red, "No, that's not the case..." He hesitates before finally admitting, "I overheard you singing it in the shower on multiple occasions. I apologize for intruding but I simply couldn't help myself when I heard such an enchanting voice."

It's your turn to feel flustered now, "R-really? You liked my singing that much?"

"I adore it. Hearing your singing always makes my day," He reassures you with a small smile, "Though, I haven't heard much of it lately."

"I'm sorry. I had so much to do that I kept taking quick showers without listening to music," You explain to him, feeling a pang of guilt, "I wouldn't mind singing for you more often but I don't really like my voice."

"I love your voice," He starts, pressing a warm kiss to your forehead, "It feels like home to me. Please sing to me, my treasure. I would love for nothing more than to get lost in you and your captivating voice."

Your cheeks feel hotter than before but you can't tear yourself away from the Kurta. He's peering at you with eyes full of love and you completely understand how he feels. You can tell just by his gaze that he's completely smitten with you just as you are with him. His feelings pour into you, passionately and endlessly and you can't help but wonder how you got so lucky as to meet this man. You let out a long breath, feeling utterly lovesick as you begin singing for him just as he had so dearly desired.

"Take from me, whatever you want, whatever you need. But lover, please stay with me"