Jealousy

(gender-neutral reader. A little bit of angst but ends in fluff.)

word count: 3,012

The blonde-haired man lets out a lingering breath into the cell phone receiver before he speaks up, "I apologize for talking so much about myself. How have things been on your end, Leorio?"

Leorio had finally gotten Kurapika to answer one of his dozens of calls and was surprised when Kurapika opened up so much about what he's been going through to him. It was unlike the Kurta to talk about his work or missions but Leorio must have called just at the right place and time.

"Nothing new. I've just been studying for my exams that are coming up," Leorio responds to him, leaning back in his desk chair. His eyes graze over the various books and scattered papers filling up his desk space.

"Have you really been studying?" Kurapika quips, "I find that hard to believe."

Leorio lets out a sound of annoyance, "I have been! Well, most of the time."

A quiet chuckle can be heard from Kurapika's end, "Now that's more believable," The line is quiet for several seconds before the blonde-haired man clears his throat and speaks up, "Have you been in contact with (Y/N)?"

Leorio gulps hard, sitting back up in his seat, "Of course. They're my close friend."

"How have they been?" He seems hesitant to ask.

The soon-to-be doctor lets out a heavy sigh, "Kurapika, is it fair for you to ask me that?" He shifts in his chair uncomfortably, "Why don't you call them yourself?"

It's Kurapika's turn to release a sigh, although he had already anticipated this response, "Leorio, you know why I can't."

"Why did you push away someone you care about?"

"It's safer for them this way," This isn't his first time explaining his reasoning, "I don't want to drag anyone down with me. Especially (Y/N). I just wanted to know how they're doing."

Leorio pauses for a moment before finally giving in, "They're doing great, Kurapika. They were so happy when you cut them off with no warning that they locked themself away from the world for weeks."

"Is that sarcasm?"

"Of course, it's sarcasm!"Leorio shouts into the phone angrily, "They were really upset. It took me a while to get them to open up to me and to start living normally again."

The call is silent for several seconds before Kurapika mutters, "....I see. I didn't believe my decision would affect them so deeply."

"You're so dense sometimes," Leorio mumbles, "They're doing fine now and they never ask about you. In fact, they have a date on Saturday."

"A date?" Kurapika is taken aback by this, "With who? Do they seem dangerous?"

The dark-haired man shakes his head, "No, they seem normal and very nice," He starts, "I met them a couple of times and I think they'll make a great couple."

"That's great," A hint of malice is noticeable in his tone of voice, "I hope they have a good time."

"I'm sure they will," Leorio, clearly annoyed, speaks up, "I should get back to studying. It was nice talking to you, buddy. Give me a call back sometime."

"I will. Thank you for calling and good luck. Goodbye." 

The call disconnects and Leorio tosses his phone down on his desk, muttering to nobody in particular, "He can be so selfish and arrogant," A frustrated groan escapes his lips, "And (Y/N) deserves better than that."