Cute Surprises

Kurapika has been away on business like usual, leaving you alone for a couple of months. You're pretty used to this by now, and you support him however you can. Surprisingly, he's better at answering messages and phone calls, well, from you, that is. Leorio complains to you quite often about how Kurapika never replies to him. 

Tonight is just a typical night for you, sitting down on the couch, and reading through some random magazine you had received in the mail. You're halfway through reading through your horoscope when your phone starts ringing. As soon as you see Kurapika's name pop up on the screen, you answer the phone, happily.

"Kurapika! I'm surprised to see you call so late!" You speak into your cell phone excitedly. A realization comes to your mind as you worriedly ask him, "Is everything okay?? Are you injured?"

He lets out a soft chuckle at your worrisome tone, "There is no need for concern, (Y/N). I am completely fine. I called to let you know that I'm on my way home and I should be there within an hour."

"R-really?!" You nearly exclaim into the phone. You compose yourself by clearing your throat, "I mean, that's great! I can't wait to see you."

"I feel the same," You can practically hear the smile on his face as he talks, "Have you eaten yet, my dear? Should I pick up some dinner?"

"I would love that, as long as it's not too much trouble."

The Kurta responds in a soft tone, "None at all, my love. Just message me what you would like, and I'll bring it to you. I will see you in a bit. I love you." 

"I love you more, Kurapika. See you soon," You hang up your phone after this, your eyes drifting to your lap. "Now, how will I explain you..?" You wonder aloud to yourself.

You message Kurapika what you want to eat, and sure enough the Kurta walks through the front door an hour later, with a bag of food in one hand, and a suitcase in the other. You rush to take the food, and suitcase from him setting it down on the coffee table. When you turn back around, the Kurta has already captured you in his arms, holding you tightly against him, one hand running gently through your hair. 

"I've missed you so much, my treasure," He pulls back slightly to press a soft kiss onto your forehead, "I apologize for being away from you so long. I almost could not bear it."

You hold him back tightly, your arms wrapped around his chest, "I'm here now, my love. All that matters is that we're together now. I was so lonely without you."

Kurapika pulls away, cupping your cheeks with his hands, his grey orbs gazing directly into yours, "I love you so much, (Y/N). I will always come back to you. You mean so much to me."

"I feel the same way. You mean the absolute world to me."

After you've said this, Kurapika leans in to capture your soft lips in his, only pulling back when you both need a breath of air. He leans his forehead against yours, the smile never dissipating from his face, "You are so beautiful.."

Your already flushed cheeks seem to heat up even more, "Kurapika.."

Before you can say what you were about to say, a scratching sound can be heard coming from your bedroom. Kurapika is immediately on alert, chains becoming visible on his hand.

"(Y/N).. Did you hear that?" He finally pulls away from you, and takes steps towards your bedroom, "Stay here. I will investigate. I do not want you to get hurt."

"Wait!" You reach out and grab his wrist, "That's what I wanted to tell you.." 

He perks up an eyebrow at you, a curious look on his face, "What do you mean?"

"Just.." You take a deep breath, before offering him a small smile, "Just relax and close your eyes and I'll show you."

He hesitates to agree, but after a few moments, he finally lets out a defeated sigh, "..Very well." His chains disappear from his hand, and he closes his eyes.

After making sure his eyes are closed tight, you open the bedroom door, revealing a small dachshund puppy. You pick the puppy up in your arms, walking her over to the Kurta boy.

"Alright, open your eyes."

Kurapika slowly opens his eyes, and it's safe to say that he's completely caught off-guard by the adorable puppy you hold in your arms. "(Y/N), who's dog is this?"

"It's our dog now, actually," You explain to him with a nervous smile on your face, "Her name is Cupcake and she's only 6 months old."

"You adopted a dog while I was gone?" His expression remains surprised, but soon shifts into a more cold one, "(Y/N), I think you should have talked with me before adopting a dog. A dog is a fulltime responsibility."

"I know, I know." You look down now, avoiding his gaze, "But I didn't have time to ask you, beforehand." 

"Why is that?"

You watch the floor intently, trying to ignore his harsh eyes on you, "They were going to put her down if someone didn't take her in.. And I couldn't let that happen." 

"..I see." Kurapika puts his hand on top of your head gently, causing you to finally make eye contact with him again, "I love your caring nature, (Y/N). And I think that you did the right thing."

"So, you're not upset?" You nervously question him.

He shakes his head, offering you a reassuring smile, "Of course not." He reaches over to gently pet Cupcake on the head, "We'll have to train her, and buy her some toys and a bed."

You let out a relieved sigh, a smile forming on your face once more, "I'm glad. I was afraid to tell you about her, so I waited until you could see her in person."

"Very clever, (Y/N)," Kurapika scoops Cupcake out of your arms, and into his, "It is very hard to say no to this adorable face. Although, she is nowhere as adorable as you, my treasure."

Cupcake seems very happy with her tail wagging, as she licks Kurapika's face happily.

"It seems like she really likes you!" You point out to him, "It took her a few days to warm up to me."

"I would have preferred a bigger dog," Kurapika starts, "But she is very cute. I think we will take good care of her."

You nod in response, "And it's good practice for if we ever have a family," You say this without thinking, your face instantly flushing red.

Kurapika watches you in surprise for a few moments, before he smiles and nods, "Yes, I wholly agree. However, does that mean that you would like to have a child with me some day?"

"Of course, I would. I thought that was obvious," You explain to him, "Is that something that you want, Kurapika?"

"Very much so," He sets Cupcake on the ground, and takes both of his hands in yours, "Nothing would make me happier. You are my future, (Y/N). I did not think I could have one until I met you, and now I always have someone to come home to. I am beyond happy to have you in my life."

"Kurapika.." You start, a soft smile on your face, "As long as you're happy, then I'm happy. And if our baby looks anything like you, then it will be the cutest baby to ever exist."

He can't help but burst out into laughter at this, "You are very sweet, aren't you, (Y/N)? I would be happier if our baby looked more like you."

A sudden barking sound comes from behind you, and you come to the realization that Cupcake has discovered the bag of food o the table and is trying to get into it. You both chuckle as you watch her struggle to jump onto the coffee table. 

"We should probably eat before our food gets cold," You point out to the Kurta, who nods in response.

"Or before Cupcake gets to it first."

You spend the rest of the night sitting beside the love of your life, while your newest addition to the family sleeps in his lap. After a few movies, you begin to drift off as well, your head leaning onto Kurapika's shoulder. He kisses you softly on the forehead, watching you with a content smile on his face.

'A family..?' He thinks to himself, 'I never thought I could be so lucky. Thank you, (Y/N). You have given me true happiness.'