Dutch Defense

"The criminal is a creative artist; detectives are just critics".

Hannu Rajaniemi

---

Detective Martin: Who is the murderer? McKenzie or Mr. White?

James: None of them. It's cleaner. He planned this murder a long time ago.

Detective Martin: What nonsense are you saying again? The cleaner is killer? It is absurd that saying this when we have all this evidence. 

James: Why not? Cleaners have the right to enter anywhere. No one doubts them, they go wherever they want and come out quietly.

Detective Rustin: But we examined his background. The cleaner has been working at the hotel for 2 months. It is impossible for him to plan to kill Mr. Obadiah, who arrived at the hotel three days ago.

James: if you noticed. A day after Mr. Obadiah arrived at the hotel, Mrs. Williams, who was looking at the floor, fell ill. Don't you think it's suspicious?

Detective Martin: Then how did he know that after two months Mr. Obadiah will come and stay in this hotel?

James: it's very simple. If you look at the hotel's records for 5 years, you will see that Mr. Obadiah comes to this city once a season during the year and stays in this hotel for a week. Of course, many will not remember Mr. Obadiah, who came once a year. But all this is given in the hotel records.

Detective Rustin: Then fingerprints and other evidence? What was  McKenzie's knife doing in Obadiah's room? 

James: Very simple. The cleaner entered Mr. McKenzie's room, took the knife, and got out. Later, as he left the room, Mr. White saw him. He realized that he could not waste time. He then entered Obadiah's room, killed him, and shouted as if he had found him dead. When the police arrive at the scene, his nervousness can be explained by seeing dead. I think it is a clever crime.

Detective Martin: Look here, Sherlock. These are beautiful tales, but how can you prove his guilt if we have no evidence?

James: I've already proved it.

Detective Martin curiously: How?

James said "By this", pointing to the donut on the table. Then he got up and continued: 

-This donut you see is a donut sold for decoration at a very cheap price. Did you know that this is only made in a small factory in Alaska? Basically, no one likes to eat it. It's like you're eating plastic. Although I have been eating for a week, I still can't get used to it. I wondered what this donut was in Obadiah's room. That's why I did research. There is only one person in the hotel who eats this donut. Cleaner! Why the cleaner put it in Obadiah's room it's another question? However, it's clear that the culprit is cleaner.

Detective Rustin: Just simple donut?

James: I dunno. It's as if there's something hidden in this simple donut. I think I saw it somewhere. But I'm sure have never eaten this donut before. When you look at the crime records of the last 5 years. I saw this donut everywhere. How can this donut appear all over the world? However, this is only produced in Alaska. I think there is a bigger organization or serial killer here. I think we had to go over the cleaner.

***

James entered the room alone. The cleaner sits at the table and looks at him coldly. James sits in front of him, puts out his cigarette, and started to smoke.