Vienna Game

I am a writer. I could not afford to take 15 months off from my writing career to play detective.

James Ellroy

---

James and his companions on a plane flying to Azerbaijan, a small country in the heart of the Caucasus Mountains.

James looks at the files in his hand and thinks.

Min-jun: Sir, why are you so brooding? Did you find anything?

James: Unfortunately no. There are big flaws here. We currently have information about three boys in the papers we have. Who are these boys, Who are these girls that witnesses saw? Why do they fight with each other? There are many unclear aspects.

Min-jun: I think there may be only one reason. Revenge or jealousy. I think this is the only reason why men and women fight.

James: hahaha. It is an interesting idea. Wonderful idea for a novel. I hope we will find the evidence we need in Baku.

***

Azerbaijan is a small country on the shores of the Caspian Sea between Asia and Europe. Baku, the capital of the country, has always attracted the attention of tourists with its beauty. Apart from that the food and traditions of this place take people to another world.

 Apart from that the food and traditions of this place take people to another world

They were greeted by Amina, Interpol's representative in Azerbaijan.

Amina: Welcome to Baku. I hope your journey wasn't tiring. Do you want to go to the hotel or ...

James: Take us to the crime scene.

They got into the car and moved towards the place where the events took place.

Jamar: I do not understand. Why did they come here? What can attract them to this country? I first heard the name of this place when this event happened.

James: Azerbaijan is a small country. This is a place where many tracking systems are not developed, so they can move around comfortably to avoid the cameras and do their work without trouble. Also, if there is an urgent need to flee, there are countries that do not go along with the United States and Europe, such as neighboring Russia and Iran, which makes it an ideal country for them. Besides, Baku is a fascinating city. Especially worth trying the local cuisine. I've been here a couple of times.

Jamar: You think they'll go Russia or Iran?

James: I think yes! Security measures in Europe have increased dramatically since the recent events. In my opinion, they will pay more attention to Asia.

It was already 12:00 when they arrived at the scene. It is an ancient town surrounded by castle walls. The locals call it "Icheri Sheher". Narrow and ancient streets make people feel like in ancient times.

They come to the scene. James looked around. The town, which used to contain the beauties of history, has become a ruin. The surrounding area is full of traces of explosions and bullet remnants.

James: are there any witnesses?

Amina: we did not have any witnesses. Everyone fled in fear when the explosions began. People do not want to get involved.

James lit a cigarette and looked around. People looking at the scene from afar and police officers avoiding them come closer. James looked at like-minded people.
A small child standing in the crowd draw his attention. The child looks around sadly, holding a small donut in his hand.

James and Amina approached the child. The donut in his hand caught James's attention. It looks like that donut.

James began to speak, and Amina translated what he said.

James: hello buddy. Do you live here?

The child pointed with his little finger at the burnt ruins.

James: did you live there? I'm very sorry about that. Did anything happen to your family?

The boy looked at him quietly and shook his head.

James: Ah...I'm glad that nothing happened to your family. What is your name?

The boy said sadly, "Kamran."

James: You have an interesting name. Do you know the meaning?

Kamran shrugged his shoulders.

James: Buddy, have you seen those who do this?

Kamran looked at him hesitantly. His fear is clearly felt.

James: Buddy, I understand you're scared. But you have to be brave. I need your help to find those bad people. Don't you want them to be punished for destroying your house?

The child began to speak timidly:

-I was playing with my friend on the street. There occurred explosions at the moment. My family was at work, fortunately. Everyone started to run away in fear. At that moment, I huddled in a corner out of fear. Then I saw girls and boys fighting around. They fired at each other without stopping. In the end, one of the girls was shot. The girls dragged her away. They were all moving next to me. I saw everything they did. I could not move in fear. Then I crawled out... At that moment I saw those scary eyes... He was smiling at me...

Kamran's eyes began to sob. James tried to calm him by stroking his head. 

James: "Don't be afraid anymore". It's all over. You are safe.

Kamran: The boys said something to each other. In the end, the one who smiled told me to leave in my own language.

James: where did you get this donut?

Kamran: The smiling boy gave it to me and said it is a gift. I tasted it, but it's very tasteless.

James looked carefully at the donut. He took the candy out of his pocket and gave it to the child.

James: You're a very brave boy. I believe that you will be very successful when you grow up. Always be so courageous and keep fighting.

James joined his companions and walked away from the scene while smoking his cigarette.

Min jun: What are we going to do now, sir?

James: There's nothing to investigate these people here. They are professionals. We will not find any evidence. It makes no sense to chase them either. Wherever we go, we will encounter the same scene. This is the same as a year ago. The appearance of the 3 boys is fully consistent with the events there. Only this donut has something suspicious. If we investigate this, maybe we can find any traces. Only then we can find them and follow in their footsteps.

A strong wind blew James's hat off his head. Looking at the sky, he said, "Baku is the city of the winds. Here the wind blows everything away"...