Chapter 25

[Trigger Warning: body insecurity, accused suicide, and unhealthy coping. Stay safe, guys!]

        Nightmare brought out his phone, scrolling through thousands of contacts to find the destroyer's. It had been hours since he had the meeting with Ink and the strange Sans now, he was tempted to pretend it never happened and write it off as a stupid coincidence but he couldn't forget how bold Ink was getting. Really? Resorting to violence against the ones he was supposed to protect was a big red flag.

    He pressed call and waited for them to answer. Thankfully, Error did.

    "What do you want?" He said with venom.

    If Nightmare had known Error any less, he would have thought the destroyer hated him. It wasn't the case, it seems.

    "I need to meet with you. I ran into Ink."

    "So?"

    "Just come. I need you here."

    "....... fine."

    They hung up and Nightmare allowed himself a grin. He was brilliant to agree with Ink. He couldn't have believed that Error was really all it took to give him his victory over this whole ordeal.

    The moment Error came through his portal, he was swiftly restrained and knocked out. He'd say sorry about cracking their skull a smidge but it won't matter too much.

    Later, with Cross...

    Cross finally made it to the castle only to be met with silence. Well. Outside of the usual sound of Dust and Horror messing with each other. Ew.

    "Hey! Where's Nightmare?"

    Dust turned to him with a sleepy look.

    "Dunno. He was in his study room."

    Cross nodded and checked the room. The room was notably empty and devoid of the man he was looking for.

    "Hmm...."

    He glanced down at the strings he had in his hand. What to do with them? He couldn't leave them on Nightmare's desk, that would be too dangerous.

    "I guess I'll keep it for now..."

    He knelt down and took his boot off, tying the string around his ankle. That should keep it safe for the time being.

    He went to the training room to practice while he waited. Despite how his ecto seemed, he still didn't feel he was as fit as he could be. What if all that time in the antivoid ruined his body shape?

    He shook his head. It would be fine. He'll just have to check on it later. And losing his figure is just a temporary set back... Right?

    Wasn't the reason he was invited here because he was useful? What would happen if Nightmare decided because he wasn't in perfect shape he wasn't useful anymore?

    The anxiety pushed him to train harder and hesitate in summoning his body. He'll- He'll train first and see it later. If it is out of shape, he'll fix it now. He has to.

    After several hours, he collapsed to his knees, magic depleted almost dangerously low.

    "Nnnh.... No, I'm- I'm just being lazy..."

    He scowled and wiped the sweat off his head. Cross got ready to make another attack when a hand gripped his wrist.

    "Did you decide to kill yourself?"

    "Wh-What?"

    Cross looked at them with tired surprise.

    It was Dust.

    "You know if you keep going, you'll just burn yourself out like a fu-"

    "Language. And no, I won't kill myself. I'm just tired."

    He took a moment of breath to collect himself.

    Dust snorts.

    "Dude, I don't wanna clean up your dust. Its hard to clean."

    Cross rolled his dim eyelights.

    "Whatever. Fine. I'm taking a shower."

    Dust grins.

    "Cool. But you probably can't even stand up so... either I help you shower or you sleep first."

    Cross blinked at the offer.

    "Help.... me?"

    "Yeah, you know. You hardly do anything and I do the work."

    Cross frowned.

    "I'm not lazy. And besides, you fall asleep on me."

    Dust shrugs.

    "Either that or Horror does it. And you know how rough he is."

    Cross laughs.

    "Dust, you scream too loudly for me to NOT know."

    "Heh, so?"

    The monochrome skeleton thought about it. It would be unhealthy of him to sleep with sweat covered clothes... He could get sick.

    "Fine. But any funny business and I'll shove the bar of soap down your throat."

    "Deal."