Chapter 31

[Hey, I have plans for the ending of this book. Want a second book once this one is done?

Warnings for this chapter: Suicide, torture, feelings of guilt, character death.]

Ink was sitting in a backwards facing chair, a frown and sulking attitude about him.

“Weird. I thought this would make me feel something.”

Across from him, Error sat in his usual spot, his neck sliced open on every side and yet still attached by strings that had subconsciously sprung out to reattach it together. Despite his magic being low, his natural defensive programming came to life and tried to save whatever was left from death. Error had endured thousands of years of pain and misery but this was somehow worse. Trapped, alone, and vulnerable to anything Ink wanted from him.

 “Hh...nn...k..hhh…..” He rasped out. He didn’t even have the strength to cry. But he had no one to turn to. It was his own self imposed solidarity that kept him alone… And now, maybe it hadn’t been such a bad idea to find someone. Anyone. But… Since he’s here, he might as well try to hold on. Maybe Ink will get bored and give up. He knew Ink doesn’t hate him, he can’t feel anything. But he can’t help but think all of his ‘curiosity’ was driven a bit… Maliciously.

“Hm? What’s that?”

Ink got up and moved closer.

Error let his eyelights go out.

“Ju…..st…..k...ll….me….”

Ink smiled.

“Don’t worry, Erry. I already said I was trying. But if it makes you feel better, I can always go with plan C?”

Error couldn’t ask what it the plan was but he didn’t seem to need to.

“They say being put in the Void gets rid of someone through time and space! That means you can’t regenerate and come back!”

Error had already held his resolve. Maybe it was for the best. The multiverse would collapse but its not like he cared anymore. When had it ever done anything nice to him other than provide false hope.

Ink stroked their head.

“There, there. Once you’re gone, I’ll at least make a little memorial for you if that makes you feel better.”

In a sort of twisted way… It did. Sure, Ink was horrible but at least he knew that the dead are to be respected. And the inhabitants of this world would at least acknowledge him for a while before facing their inevitable demise…

Ink moved to remove the collar, allowing Error to gasp and groan, leaning to the side of the chair at the sudden rush of magic coming back.

“Ready to go?”

“..... Yeah.”

    Blue bursted into the dark castle.

“NIGHTMARE!”

Nightmare looked to Blue, startled slightly.

“What is it?”

“Error is seriously in trouble!”

Nightmare felt a cold dread fill him. Right. Error! He was still with Ink! How could he have forgotten? He was so wrapped up in getting Killer situated that he hadn’t realized there wasn’t any time!

“Where is he?!”

“I-Ink is keeping him somewhere in the HQ, I’m sure of it. But I don’t know where!”

“I do.”

The two turn to Killer, an easy smile playing on his mouth.

“He put me there before.”

Nightmare growled and grabbed him.

“Show us where it is.”

Killer shrugs.

“Alright.”

The three gathered the other gang members and they all teleport to the Stars HQ, only to find the place empty, even the secret dungeon.

“Wait, theres a notebook here.” Killer skimmed the entries before shutting it hard.

“They’re going to Outertale.”

Nightmare huffed in frustration and worry. The other members were bewildered but equally worried about Error. Error, while not being very close to them, was like an uncle to them, a close friend they could never imagine not popping in to check on them or prank Dust or Cross with chocolate traps or tripping them with wire.

They all warp to Outertale, in time to see Ink and Error standing beside each other, seemingly talking. It was weird to see the two together without a fight breaking out. It was quiet before Nightmare called out to Error.

“Error! Get out of there!”

The Destroyer looked to them with a somber look.

“What are you guys doing here?”

“We came to find you!”

Ink smiled to them , a look as if confused.

“Uh, a little late for that, right?”

“What are you talking about you cretin?”

Ink snorts and waved off the insult like a fly.

"Error isn’t being forced to do anything. In fact, he was the one who made the portal here.”

Error looked away to hide his face from view.

Nightmare stared in abject horror.

“What…? Error?”

No response.

“ANSWER ME!”

Error looked to him with a scowl.

“I’m done, Night. While you were off playing house, I’ve come to terms with something: I don’t have to do my job if I don’t want to. So here I am.”

“Error, what are you even talking about?!”

“I QUIT! Right here. Right now. I’m jumping in the Void, Night.”

Nightmare hated how calm they were when they said it. Waves of determination and quiet fury was all he needed to feel from them to know he wasn’t bluffing. The others stared wide-eyed.

Cross teared up.

“B-But what about the castle? You can still stay there! With us! And you don’t need to do your job there either!”

Error shook his head.

“Sorry Cross. It’s been fun, but I know you guys are more worried about someone else.”

The destroyer pointedly glanced at Killer who didn’t give much of a reaction besides a strained smile.

"Besides, once I'm gone, Ink probably won't have a reason to bother you."

'Till the world ends, I guess.' He added mentally.

He knew this was selfish of him. Sacrificing the world for himself? But he had had enough. All he'd been doing since his creation was destery, hurt, and cause fear. He deserved a bit of selfishness.

Nightmare felt that and understood. Which made begging for Error to stay that much more painful.

Ink grabbed some of Error's sleeve.

"Come on. You're delaying."

Error sighs with annoyance.

"Fine, fine…."

And the world screamed as Error fell.