Chapter 28

[In which Killer is having a great time and Cross gets a treat for being a good boy.]

"Killer, I know Ink has done... Very unpleasant things to you-"

"Whoa, hey." Killer smirks, raising a brow.

"Who said anything about it being unpleasant?"

Nightmare paused, taking a mental note of that fact and refocusing.

"Besides that, you were presumably taken from your home?"

"Mmm... more or less."

The killer pulled out a knife from his scuffed up jacket and began toying with it, the blade dancing just shy of cutting though his bone, only to be flipped or shifted over the surface harmlessly. It was clear they either didn't have much care for bodily harm or were too well trained to allow pain outside his control. Promising.

"Explain it to me."

Killer gave them a look that didn't seem to reveal any emotion besides that strained smile. His power to read emotions did nothing for him either, as if a black hole replaced the skeleton before him.

"Make me."

Nightmare glared at them, not fond of the test. The dark oppressive feeling in the room intensified, rendering most monsters cowering. But not this one. He didn't whine like Cross or growl weakly like Horror would. He sat there, smiling. The only thing betraying their nonchalance was a few beads of sweat beginning to appear.

"Killer. Tell me."

"Haha, good one." They strained.

Again, the world grew darker.

"Is it just me or is it cold in here? Is your thermostat busted?"

"Enough games."

Killer made a noise in the back of his throat, like a strained gasp.

"Don't... hah... Know what you're talking about..."

Truthfully, Nightmare was impressed. Only Dream could manage to survive this long in his aura. Most would have started screaming in pain or begged for forgiveness. He stopped the aura, letting Killer shallowly breathe, probably to hide how difficult the task was of managing himself under the pressure.

"Fine. Don't tell me. I won't pry anymore. But you will have to answer one question."

After regaining his breath, Killer showed signs of interest.

"Oh? What question?"

Nightmare grins darkly.

"It's really more of a proposition than a question. Granted, you'll have to answer either way."

Killer fiddled a bit more with his knife, cleaning off small flakes of dust.

"And that would be...?"

"What is it you want the most in the world?"

Killer raised a brow, a playful smirk stretching over his mouth.

"Oh, are we getting philosophical? Not even dinner first?"

"Answer the question." Nightmare replied curtly.

Killer leaned back against the chair, pressing the blade of his knife against the table.

"Fine, fine... The most, huh? I guess that would have to be..."

He snapped his fingers.

"Oh! I wanna have fun."

"...... elaborate?"

"You know, my AU was pretty fun for a while. Lots of toys to play with. Dialogue to skip. The whole song and dance."

Nightmare nods, thinking as he absently looks to his right.

"I see..."

Outside the door, Cross waited patiently to the side like a good guard. He was tasked to come in and intervene if he had to. But unfortunately, this time around, he wasn't allowed in. As much as he did want to stand behind Nightmare in there. He still had a debt to pay for him saving his life all those months ago...

Horror walked passed, stuffing a small bag of what looked to be some chocolate cookies. No doubt they were probably made by Dust. Cross happily ate some before stopping after just one. Umm... Maybe he'll save the rest for later... With difficulty, he put the bag away and waited. It would be horrible to be caught inattentive to his job...

Finally, the door opened and Killer walked out, whistling gleefully, hands in pocket as he strolled toward the living room. Nightmare followed soon after and met eyes with Cross.

"Good work, Cross."

"Thanks."

The dark skeleton glanced behind them.

"Are those cookies?"

"Yeah, Dust probably made them or something. He had Horror send me some."

"That's... thoughtful of him. You aren't eating it?"

Cross shrugged.

"I can eat them later."

Despite his words, Cross seemed a little sad to say it.

"Don't lie to me, Cross. I've already had trouble with one misfit today."

The younger flinched and scratched his neck.

"I just don't wanna eat them while on duty..."

Now that seemed even more suspicious to Nightmare. Given a chance, Cross would always be eager for chocolate. Why was now any different? More troubling was the thick feelings of guilt and regret coming in waves from them.

"You know what? I'd like one."

Cross blinked, surprised.

"O-Oh, sure."

He pulled out the bag and handed Nightmare one.

"Thank you."

"Right..."

Nightmare took a bite and stared at the rest of the cookie.

"Mm... I think I've changed my mind. I don't want it."

"Really?" Cross gave a look of confusion and worry.

"Yes. I think I'll throw this one away.

Alarmed, Cross stiffened.

  'Bingo.'

"Ah, o-or I can have it?"

Nightmare paused, his face hidden as he'd turned around to leave. His dark smile unseen.

"Is that so? Then eat it for me."

"N-Now?"

"Now."

Cross looked at the cookie in their hand and looked away, ashamed. Nightmare was... Off put by this uncharacteristic resistance and sent out a tentacle to grip their waist.

"Cross..." He said in a way a mother would chastise a child.

"I-I'll eat it later, I promise!"

"Cross!"

Cross looked to Nightmare with tears in his eyes. The guardian softened his gaze and moved the cookie away.

"What is this about."

"I-I don't-" He stopped his lie quickly.

"I just..."

He gripped the slick tentacle around him and sniffed, tears starting to run down his face. Nightmare moved closer and put an arm around them in a gentle embrace. Cross instantly hugged them tight, crying into their chest, face burning from embarrassment.

The two stayed that way for a while until Cross calmed down.

"Feeling better?"

"..... yeah..."

"Tired?"

A weak nod.

"Okay."

He picked them up into his arms and carried them to bed. What a stressful day...