Chapter 13

[Good news! From the vote: I've decided to do both options and leave large warnings for those who wish to skip the chapter. Don't worry! Smut chapters can be skipped and you won't miss main plot points.]

    Nightmare let out a shuddering sigh as he walked through the dark forest, a set direction in mind. He had needed some space to breathe and relax after the failure of his attack.

    None of this would have happened if that village of theirs would have left them alone.... no. If the village and Dream left him alone. When it came down to the wire, even his own brother couldn't help him. And if no one would help him...

    He'd have to help himself.

    The world is an unfair place, he knew that more than anyone. Especially when he could feel all of their despair calling to him and feeding his power. But now he was stronger than the weak victim he once was. Now he could DESTROY those who dared treat him like he was lesser.

    The world can't do that to him anymore...

    "Not again." He muttered to himself with a tired determination.

    The trees began opening up to the red valley, grass and sky turned red and black from what had occured many moons ago. This was where he was reborn into what he was now.

    And with the tree of feelings gone... His anxiety had lowered. No more guardianship. No more responsibility. No more beatings. He wasn't there anymore.

    Nightmare shook his head, trying to rid of the memories as he strode to the small hill where the stump of their mother sat.

    He stands before it, an apathetic expression masking his face.

    "You know.... I never liked you." He says to seemingly no one.

    That is, until a voice responded.

    "Nightmare, you can't mean that...."

    The dark king made a half turn to look at the owner of the voice.

    It was Dream.

    "What about all those good memories of us? Reading beneath mother?"

    Nightmare looked down on him with a stoic expression.

    "Do you remember what I told you? Back when we had these 'good memories'?"

    Dream looked at him, eyes clouded with confusion and ignorance. Nightmare scoffed, a disbelieving smirk played on his mouth as he glanced away. He changed his voice to the one he had before to mess with Dream a little.

    "'Dream....? What would you do if someone hurt me?' ring a bell?"

    The golden guardian flinched at the quesrion, guilt rising in his chest and threatening to bubble over.

    "Y-Yes...."

    Night stretched his smile, sadiatic glee apparent.

    "Oh? Doesn't it? When the very next day you broke your promise to defend me? When the crowd threw rocks and beat me to an inch of my life and you STILL CHOSE THEM OVER ME? GIVING THEM EXCUSES??"

    Dream glares at Nightmare. His fist clench around his baby blue staff.

    "You know very well that I tried! I hadn't known!"

    "Tch. You're doing it again. You always like to make the story paint you as the hero, don't you? You love to help others and become positivity itself.... When you're not. And neither am I negativity."

    They stand in silence for a moment as a soft breeze flow passed them, making the trees' branches sway and the blades of grass bend.

    "We're done here."

    "Nightmare, wait-"

    Dream was left by his lonesome, his open palm reaching for the figure that wasn't there anymore.

    "....."

    He sighs and leaves as well.