Chapter 32

[Coming up to the last few chapters y'all! This is the chapter where the world goes in the 5 stages of grief.]

After the day Error fell, the worlds shook. Everyone felt it. Felt something was wrong. A horrible sinking feeling that something- or someone- was gone. Every monster, human, extra dimensional creature felt it.

Most of all, Ink felt it. It... It was a feeling. He felt something! It felt horrible... As if acid was eating him from the inside. He couldn't dwell on it as he had to run from the Nightmare's Gang and escape to the Doodlesphere.

"I... I felt that?"

He clutched the front of his shirt, thinking hard, trying to memorize the feeling. He almost felt sick. It was too much from so little. Killing Error was the only thing that let him feel even a little bit of emotion... Who would have thought...

But the Nightmare Gang wasn't taking the news as well... Cross had broken into gross sobbing, clinging to Nightmare for the little comfort he could. The dark guardian himself was gritting his teeth in frustration. Yes, he was sad that Error died, but above all he felt betrayal. The Error just threw away his life AND the world because he could handle something he could have asked for help with! It- It was unnecessary!

He cursed under his breath.

"Dust, Horror, Killer, Cross."

The four look to Nightmare.

"I know we just suffered from Error's loss and are in mourning btu the situation is serious. We need to pack everything up. Cross, I'm sorry to have to ask this of you but I need you to find Death."

The gang, while shell shocked, quickly moved to do so. They needed to take their mind off the tragedy that just happened. Cross found it hard to muster up the will to summon his knife but he did so and cup open a portal to find Death.

The other four went back to the castle and packed up their things.

Dust furrowed his brows and gazed over to Nightmare.

"Why are we in such a hurry to move?"

"Because if we don't find a way out of this multiverse, we'll die with it."

This alarmed Dust and didn't help with his festering anxiety.

"O-Oh..."

"But I know Death can help. His AU keeps a World Archive. If I can get permission to use it, I can find a way out. Until then, we need to be ready at a moment's notice."

Nightmare paused him packing to give Dust a hug, which Dust returned gratefully.

"We'll be fine."

"How can you be so sure?"

"Because I will it so."

Dust chuckles weakly.

"You're so confident."

"Dust, we can't be dawdling. The world is about to collapse on itself any second."

Dust moved to lean against Nightmare, resting his head against his chest.

"Hey, it's not so bad... Maybe you'll get over that thing you have with Dream."

Night scowled.

"You're delirious. Go with Horror."

Dust shrugs tiredly and walked off. Night puts a hand to his face, letting his own negativity fester. This could have all been avoided if I wasn't dealing with... Speaking of... Nightmare turned to find Killer hunched over himself on the couch. Strangely enough, he felt nothing from them. Not even that wretched positivity.

"Killer. Make yourself useful and pack with the others." He hissed.

The teary skeleton shrugged and walked off to do just that, Nightmare's eye staring at his back as he turned away. Killer wasn't stupid, he knew this was partially his fault. Or was it? It was their decision to take their time integrating him into the group. Although... He never did mention that Error needed help as they did... So... Partially to blame.

He could handle most of it but the traitorous moral side that remained in his hollow Soul felt the deep regret and sorrow he 'should be' feeling. Ugh, if he had eyes, he'd roll them. It's not like it matters anymore. The guy's dead. Not his problem...

[Except it is. It IS our problem.]

'Shut up, we should have killed them ourselves, if anything!'

[We can't, people care about him, he helped them all...]

'What did he do to deserve our trust, anyway?'

[Making friends that rescued you from Ink!]

Killer snorts, amused.

'It was fun at Ink's. He hurt me good.'

[You're disgusting.]

'And you don't exist anymore. Leave me alone already.'

The voice went quiet in his mind and he was allowed peace while he packed.

Soon, everyone was ready and had their things either in backpacks or duffel bags. Horror was able to carry three duffel bags, two for food and one for other essentials. Dust had one backpack to keep his casual wear and bandages. Cross kept a military backpack full of the bare essentials and a few chocolate bars. Nightmare held nothing, making Cross confused. Surely the guardian would have some treasured items from the castle?

"Did you forget your things, Boss?"

Nightmare lifted his gaze to Cross and hummed, thinking.

"No, nothing is of worth bringing with me."

Dust tilted his head, suspicious.

"Not even the mug we got you?"

Nightmare paused for a moment and reached into the shadows, taking out a small satchel with a noticeable mug-sized bulge.

"..... Very well. Are you all ready?"

They all nod grimly.

"Let's go, then."

He gathers energy, focusing it into a single point in his palm, a black mass of power, before gesturing it out, making it expand, destroying the medieval AU he had captured.

With the world being destroyed, they were all plunged into darkness...

[.... Aaaaand that's the end of the book! Book two will be published soon so make sure to keep an eye out for it! Until then, let's hope the gang are going to be okay!]