Chapter 2

(Giving the book a little bit of hope.)

It seemed like days since the two skeletons had met. Despite Nightmare having healed completely, he stayed, claiming that his brother might me tracking him down. Over that time, he and Cross had formed a sort of bond. As much as Nightmare denied it, they were good friends. After noting that it was high time he left, Cross became panicked.

"A-Are you coming b-back?"

Nightmare hummed, thinking about it. Visiting Cross served no purpose besides wasting time he could be using to spread negativity… But it couldn't hurt to. Cross had been alone for quite a long time and he had nothing to do in his spare time besides taking care of 'business'.

"Hmm… Fine. But only if you don't tell anyone, especially Ink, about me being here."

"Why?"

"Do you have amnesia as well as stupidity?"

Nightmare smirks and rolls his eyelights. This skeleton… Cross pouts and crosses his arms.

"No…"

"I don't want more trouble. I already have my idiot brother to deal with. I don't need a creation god as well."

Cross nods, understanding.

"I won't tell. Promise."

"Like hell! This creep almost killed you!"

Oh great. Chara is back.

"Oh, don't start you big oaf! You're gonna tell Ink. I'm not gonna have a guardian of negativity hang out with you when he can kill you at any time!"

'If he wanted me dead, he would've done it by now.' Cross shot back.

Chara huffs, annoyed, and disappears.

"Whatever. Kill us, then. See if I save you next time."

Nightmare opens a portal into another AU as his shadow method can't work if there are no shadows. Cross stared longingly at the portal, obviously wanting to leave.

'.... Maybe I should take him out someday.' Nightmare thought before shaking his head and going through the portal. What was he thinking? Why did he care? It wasn't his problem.

But… Cross didn't need to…

Nightmare's face switched to one of mischief.

"I guess the Star Sanses won't mind if I started a little group of my own, would they?"

He walks into the forest before him, disappearing into the fog.

Meanwhile with Cross, him and Chara had gotten into another argument. They knew Ink would come but it had been almost too long… Days or weeks had passed and Ink still hadn't shown up. Finally, after a while longer, Ink came.

"Hahaha, sorry I'm late~"

He heard sniffling and jerked to look only to find a crying Cross.

"Cross? What is it?"

"You left me alone for s-so l-ong…!"

"Really? Whoopsy. Must've forgotten. I'm busy after all. AUs to create and all."

This did nothing but worsen Cross's sobbing. How could Ink just FORGET him?! He was one of two people that ever FOUND him! That have TALKED to him!

Ink shifted on his feet, not knowing much about comforting. He decides to wait until Cross calms down. Eventually, he does. It took soooo looooong… Ink grew annoyed. Was Cross not grateful that he remembered at all? Geez, how rude.

"Are you done yet?"

"*sniff sniff*.... Yeah.." He responds, his voice wavering wetly.

Ink grins. Finally!

"Great! You won't BELIEVE the stuff that happened when I was saving Underfell #35…"

Ink blabbed on and on about his adventures while Cross was forced to suck it up and listen. This was one of the few times he could interact with someone other than Chara. He had to be happy for what he got. So what if the white of the anti-void scared him and made him feel more isolated with each passing minute?

He hopes Nightmare comes back soon...