𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐒𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐡

Thirty-Sixth
:Chapter Thirty-Six:

The first playoff game came right around, the Panthers lining up at the dugout as they set up.

The bats were along the gate and the helmets were lined up in the dugout. The boys were pulling on their gloves and adjusting their uniforms.

     All besides Jeongguk who just had on his uniform but it wasn't styled correctly. His shirt wasn't tucked and he didn't even have his belt on.

Jeongguk, unfortunately, was still considered injured so there wasn't even hope of him being subbed in. The medical director had advised he take just another week off and if Coach wanted to put him in, he could, but not until next week.

He guessed it was fine. Though he wanted to play, he understood and the risk of getting severely injured was still there. The medical director and his Coach rather not take their chances, he supposed.

"Where's Taehyung?" Jeongguk heard Minji ask someone, making him begin to look around. He too noticed that Kim wasn't anywhere around, he actually didn't remember seeing him at all if he thought about it.

"I think he just had to go to the bathroom, he might still be up in the locker room." Hoseok answered, humming. "Jeongguk, can you go make sure he's okay? We're setting up."

The younger frowned for a moment but nodded. "I guess, ya know, because setting up a few bats takes the whole team. I know you're all so busy."He remarked before he began to walk away to get to the locker rooms, not really bothered that he had to go check.

     Jeongguk pulled the door open to the locker room, looking around to see if he could spot Blondie anywhere but he couldn't. Both bathroom stalls were empty so he obviously wasn't using the bathroom like Hoseok has presumed.

The younger frowned, walking forth. "Cap? You in here?" He wondered, glancing around briefly.

"Unfortunately." Was called back, Jeongguk being surprised he even got an answer. He walked towards the elder's voice, finding the aforementioned sitting down on one of the benches in the locker room. It was vacant, only the elder being in here before Jeongguk came along.

     "What are you doing back here?" Jeongguk asked, crossing his arms loosely over his chest, standing a few feet in front of Taehyung who looked back up at him.

"I'm just nervous." He replied vaguely but it didn't take a genius to figure that much out. "Afraid I'll fuck it up somehow." Taehyung added on, letting out a soft sigh.

"You won't, now come on." The black-haired teen turned away to leave but when he didn't hear movement behind him, he stopped and looked back. "Deaf? Let's go."

"I need a moment alone, I just need to calm down. It feels like my heart is going to race out my chest." Taehyung uttered.

Jeongguk stood there silently, waiting for something or perhaps thinking of a solution. He huffed, rolling his eyes before he moved close and took a seat beside the captain of the baseball team.

The two had remained quiet, awkward some would say, beside one another. That was until Jeongguk found his voice, taking a small breath before opening his mouth.

     "I went and saw Coach a few days ago," Jeongguk started, looking down at his hands. He could feel Taehyung looking at him with confusion.

"So?" The elder cocked a single brow.

"I asked him for my position, to be the pitcher again since I was feeling better now." He continued through the snarky reply Taehyung had to offer. "He told me flat out no." The younger's voice dropped and octave, sounding bored.