chapter one

season 2 episode 18

season 2 episode 18

veronica jennings was easy to get along with. it was almost like she incapable of being truly mean to someone. she smiled at patients and she made them feel as comfortable as possible. she felt that in their last days or in the days they were at the most vulnerable they deserved to be happy and well looked after. 

veronica was the light in the hospital, most of the time. her sunny exterior never stopped her from speaking her mind. 

she was back at work after almost getting blown up alongside meredith. luckily, they were both okay and back at work. the same could not be said for dylan, the bomb squad member who talked them through everything. he was caught in the explosion as he was the one carrying the bomb from inside a patient. 

cristina and veronica were in on a case where a fifteen-year-old boy had bony tumours growing on his face. 

derek was checking the boy, "right okay. i want you to look right here for me." he held up a finger in front of his face, in the same direction cristina was. "thank you."

jake, the young boy, noticed how uncomfortable cristina looked, "you know you could pretend i'm a lion. it helps." 

"sorry?"

"you could pretend i'm a lion and then instead of a really messed up kid you get a talking circus animal which is way easier to look at. dr jennings calls me lion boy because i told her too," he explained. 

derek and veronica chuckled.

"dr jennings what's our immediate concern?" derek asked. 

"that the bony tumors are growing inward and encroaching on his brain," she told. 

once they had finished with jake, veronica made her way to check the files lined up at the nurses desk. she was looking over another case she was on, smiling up at those who greeted her. 

"invasive non-cell. with a history of copd," a voice read. veronica glanced up to see a tall, good-looking stranger in a leather jacket. her brain automatically knew he was trouble. "that guy's pretty much a goner, huh?"

veronica sent him a small smile, "sensitivity. i like that in a stranger. are you new here?"

"visiting. confounded by all the rain and it's only my first day in town," he responded. 

"you get used to it," she replied, moving away from him. he followed. 

"makes me wanna stay in bed all day," he flirted. 

"we just met and already you're talking about bed. not very subtle, are you?" she voiced, going back to the file.

"subtle has never been my strong suit," he informed. "so ... do you ever go out with co-workers?"

she raised an eyebrow, "i make it a rule not to. too messy."

mark smiled, "then i am so glad that i don't work here."