chapter twenty-five

season 4 episode 9 - 10

cristina and veronica were dancing around meredith's bedroom, the latter standing in the doorway staring. 

"you're not dancing," veronica called.

"i'm too tense to dance," meredith replied. 

"which is why we're dancing," cristina reminded. 

"duh!" veronica exclaimed. 

meredith ignored them, "my problem is, i'm sleeping with a man who's dating. and i don't care if he dates sydney. it's the woman he dates after sydney, that's my problem. and if i had any sense at all, i would break up with the breakup sex. there would be no more breakup sexing. if i had any sense-"

"shut up! dance it out," cristina interrupted. 

meredith joined in 

"you know, i'm gonna tell him. i don't want him seeing other people," meredith decided. 

"good. fine. whatever," veronica responded. 

"i'm gonna tell him, and i feel good about it."

"dancing makes you brave," cristina told. 

meredith nodded, "and ronnie, you should tell your nurse how you feel?"

"and how's that?"

"that you're basically in love with them and want to date them properly," cristina informed. 

veronica stopped dancing, "shut up."

then she continued. izzie stood in the doorway, watching them dance before sighing and walking away. none of them had spotted her before she left. 

---

lexie found veronica at the front of a group of interns and residents, watching mark explain the case to them all.

"where were you?" she muttered. 

"alex-"

"nuff said."

nick hanscomb was their patient. 

"nick was lucky enough to have me remove a large carotid body tumor from his neck." mark pulled off the bandage, showing the room nick's neck. "the fact that i was able to get clean boundaries is pretty darn impressive, even for me," mark bragged.

"congratulations," alex complimented.

"don't interrupt," mark snapped back. veronica held back a laugh. "now despite the fact that it was a wildly successful surgery, we had to dissect out deep lymph nodes in his neck. there is now only a delicate flap of skin between his carotid artery and the outside world. that said, what am i worried about?"

"i would think given the friability of the skin, that there's a great possibility that the, um, the artery could blow?" veronica spoke up, her face morphing into one of worry.