chapter thirty

season 5 episode 1 & 2

seattle grace hospital had been ranked twelfth as a teaching hospital and had been downgraded from a level one trauma centre to a level two. which meant all traumas were being routed to mercy west, who had ranked much higher than them. 

no one was happy. especially the chief, who veronica could see was a ticking time bomb. so, she chose to try and avoid him as much as she could. she quickly excused herself, mark following after her seconds later.

it was a wonder the two hadn't been found out by more than lexie and alex. (and callie, who mark had told, but she was keeping the whole thing a secret from everyone, including erica).

"i like your new hair," veronica complimented, seeing how mark had cut his hair shorter and wasn't dying it. she also knew he needed a boost with the hospital's ranking. he was taking it to heart. "oh, snow!"

mark watched her eyes light up as she turned to the window, "thanks."

she hummed, "it's very hot." her pager went off. "trauma!" she rushed off without saying anything else. 

mark watched her go.

---

two women in ball gowns had gotten out of the limo, only to reveal it wasn't them that needed help. their limo driver, lying in the back seat with a third woman (also in a ball gown) had gone through the windshield because of the ice on the road. 

they had all been injured, but him the worst. he had glass sticking out everywhere. but while the chief stole that trauma away from bailey, the others were dealing with the three woman, one of whom had a facial lac, but was refusing treatment from george. she wanted a plastic surgeon. so, george paged sloan but was scared to face him.

"please can you ask?" george pleaded with veronica as she walked. "he'll listen to you."

veronica rolled her eyes, spotting the man, "buck up george. put on your big boy pants and ask." she pulled him towards mark. she nudged him forwards. 

"uh, dr sloan, hi, sarabeth briar's got a facial lac but she will only let you touch her," he explained.

"you paged me for a cut, what kind of moron are you, o'malley?" mark insulted. "are you a special moron from the isle of complete and utter morons?"

"hey!" veronica exclaimed from her spot only feet away. "don't be a dick! his patient needs stitches and won't let any of us go near her."

mark walked away from the group.

"and he listened to you," george muttered. "why do you get to call him a dick?"

lexie approached veronica, having heard the very loud insults, "he's an ass."

veronica jumped, turning towards lexie, "yep. and i'm bored. we aren't getting any of the trauma's because we're number 12. it's snowing, lex, snow means road accidents and we got one. the rest are going to mercy west."