chapter fourteen

season 3 episode 18

season 3 episode 18

meredith quickly dismissed any of her friends concern as she told them her mother was in an urn in her closet before they turned to veronica. 

veronica rolled her eyes, "i'm fine. i'm alive, let's work."

cristina nodded before changing the topic, "does anyone know who the new chief candidate is?"

"chief's bringing in a ringer in case he doesn't want to give the job to either one of your boyfriends," george responded.

veronica snorted quietly.

"o'malley, jennings you're with shepherd today. yang, dr montgomery. stevens to the clinic. karev, jane doe. grey, scut," bailey instructed.

"once again, i am fine," meredith argued. "and you haven't put veronica on scut."

"you can tell everybody you're fine till your blue in the face. your mom died and you almost joined her, you're taking it easy. jennings almost joined her too but she didn't lose her mom, and she has been cleared," bailey explained.

veronica had gone to a therapy session after almost dying in an attempt to get cleared, and it worked. she had after all had enough practice in finessing therapists into thinking she was working through her problems. she knew it wasn't healthy or something she should do but she would have time to work through her trauma after she became a surgeon.

veronica had cornered derek, finally.

"you're avoiding me."

"no  i'm not."

"yes you are. you blame yourself, mer told me."

"she shouldn't have."

"we're the twisted trio, there are no secrets. well, barely any," veronica responded, with a slight roll of her eyes. 

"dr je-"

"don't dr jennings me, asshat. you chose to save meredith, just like i did, just like i would have, just like i would have forced you to do if i could. i chose to jump in. i chose to try and swim. i chose to. you didn't force me to do any of that, so stop blaming yourself. i lived and i'm okay and i don't blame you so why should you, huh?"

he said nothing, only stared, tears rimming his eyes as he looked at the young woman in front of him, the one he had seen without a heartbeat not too long before that.

"please, just forgive yourself, derek. i know i have."

she turned and walked away, she needed coffee. she needed something to get her through the day with derek, seeing as he was walking on eggshells around her. 

she turned back, "and i'm on your service so start talking and stop avoiding."

---