chapter twenty-nine

season 4 episode 15 - 17

veronica was pretty sure that everyone she knew was spiralling. meredith was trying to quit therapy, cristina was cleaning and izzie was acting really weird. 

and apparently their latest trial patient had a fake boyfriend. she met him on a cruise at the same time that her symptoms began. veronica wanted to believe that she wasn't hallucinating a boyfriend and that andre was real, but there as a lot to suggest he wasn't.

plus walter tapley, a world famous cardiothoracic surgeon was visiting the hospital. apparently the chief learnt under him. george was guarding a door where he was obviously behind and was lying to everyone about it. 

callie tried to tell her and meredith that cristina wasn't doing well. she didn't want to meet walter tapley.

"that's fucking stupid," ronnie exclaimed. "sorry. that's bad."

"thank you sunshine."

"anytime cristina." 

callie got frustrated with the situation and left. 

"are you in a dark place?" ronnie asked. 

"yeah."

"so am i," meredith admitted. 

they looked a veronica expectantly, "yeah, i'm okay. which is weird, it feels like somethings gonna go wrong and soon."

"don't put that out into the universe," meredith scolded.

---

"how do i do a central line?" lexie asked. "cristina assigned it to me when you assigned me to be the intern on tapley. i've never done one."

veronica frowned, "lexie, you know how to do a central line. i've shown you on a dummy. but since it's tapley, i'll supervise but you're taking charge."

"okay, yeah, i can do that."

"you sound super confident right now," veronica deadpanned. 

lexie did exactly what veronica had taught her, the entire thing going smoothly and even earning her some praise from tapley. once they left (when the chief asked them to).

"see, lex. you did great, you're a good intern," veronica praised. 

"thanks."

---

veronica couldn't deal with cristina at that moment, she was being overly mean. she appreciated the woman was in a bad place because of burke but she was beginning to take it out on others and veronica didn't like it. it was undeserved. she instead sat alone, book in hand as she ate her lunch.

mark sat down next to her.

"i'm not sleeping with you at work," she quipped. 

he chuckled, "no, no. we're gonna sit and enjoy a meal together. i turned over a new leaf. from now on, if you want this-" he pointed downwards. "you're gonna get this too." he pointed to his head.