[5.24] Let Her Go

AN: This is Part 40 of the book! I think I have like... 5-6 readers left at this point (๑•́ω•̀) and I love all of you! Really, to put up with this book all the way here... lemme hug and kiss you 10 times over |・ω・)ノ

I have reached 5k reads, which is a modest number but it's awesome to me. To know that there are you who enjoy my story is a blessing.

With that said, I don't even know what I did in this chapter. It's chaos...

***

"When you grow up, I will let you marry my daughter."

"You sure, Oto-san? Do I have your words?"

"Hahaha. Really take after your father, don't you. Yes, of course you have my word."

The boy smiled brightly as he reached up to hold her small hand. The little girl blinked twice and hid her face into her father's chest.

She was so cute and vulnerable, and she belonged to him now.

***

At first they thought it was an avalanche, or worse, an earthquake, but when the tremor died down and the burnt fume flooded the air, the Shinsengumi guards knew it was something man-made.

"Sougo, protect Ue-sama!"

The young captain already took his sword out before Kondo gave order. His hand pressed his ear tightly in an attempt to recover from the loud blast that almost ruptured their eardrums.

Lucky for them, they were in an elevator and were shield from the explosion, but the box was damaged and it would have free fall, if not for the safety device that braced the momentum. In turn, it went down one floor by one floor, and through the dented steel door, the three of them had a glimpse of what was going on outside.

Pain. Terror. Chaos. The deafening scream of innocent citizens. The sound of machine gun and synchronized foot steps. They could hear many Shinsengumi members already clashed with the enemy.

It didn't take much to know this was a terrorist's attack.

"Soyo! Soyo is still outside!" The Shogun gasped and charged forward but quickly realised they were in a dead-end situation.

"Please calm down, Ue-sama, our Vice Commander is with the Princess right now." Sougo assured the Shogun, while Kondo kept answering his transceiver, ordering all units to regroup just as their elevator reached the basement.

Kondo was careful in forcing the door to open, and as he did so, bullets were fired towards the group and the two officers deflected them at insane speed. Smokes rose slightly from where the bullet clashed with the metal blades, and before the gunners could take a second look, Sougo already sent them to death, except one.

"Who are you and what's your purpose?!"

Kondo yanked the collar of the terrorist that was wearing the hotel staff uniform. The filthy criminal just laughed and was kicked in the face by Sougo, who intentionally broke his nose in the most painful way.

The benevolent Shogun had to look away when he heard that rough croaking sound.

As the dog whimpered about upheaving the bakufu and building a new world, another group charged into the basement, looking for their target. Sougo dealt a finishing blow to the bastard and joined the battle with Kondo.