[13.2] The Girl Who Writes

AN: I feel happy when other Gintama writers are still writing.

Happier when Gintama readers are still reading.

Warning: 13,000 words.

***

"Why are you soaking wet? Did you fall into the drain?!"

"None of your business! More importantly, why are you here and why are you all by yourself?!"

Gintoki yelled in frustration. He thought today couldn't get any worse with the idiotic girl 'dumping' him, the crazy friend leading him to run errand, and the lunatic granny making him fall down the drain by her lunatic statement.

Dragging himself out of the cold water, he stumbled across a deserted land festered by wild bushes and grasses.

Deserted land, wild bushes, and grasses this late at night was a big nope so he scurried out there as fast as he could. As he crossed a big old tree, there was a very soft sniffle, which in that context sounded like something... inhuman. Even though Gintoki was not religious, he prayed to all kind of gods that it was not what he thought it was.

The moment he turned around, his day simply turned worst.

He found that (Y/N), the idiotic girl who was not supposed to be here, was here. Curling up at the base of the tree. Teary red eyes and nose. Clearly hiding from whatever or whoever made her cry.

One thing you should know about Sakata Gintoki was, when he got really furious, it showed.

"What the fuck did he do?"

The mere level of threat in his voice took (Y/N) aback. She knew her classmate was no joke when he was angry, but she didn't know what led him to this state.

"W-who...?" She mumbled terribly, feeling like she had done something very wrong.

"That fucking guy." Gintoki gritted his teeth, being on the brink of explosion "What's his name? Kaito? Did he fucking leave you here by yourself?"

"He didn't! I came here on my own!" (Y/N) explained in a haste "... Please don't swear too much...!"

She used to correct her classmate when he cursed in class, and she just did it again out of reflex. It was effective to make Gintoki got a better hold of himself, even though he still looked extremely pissed off.

The perm head exhaled once, then twice, before getting down next to her under the tree.

"I want to know why you were crying in this place and I want the answer before mosquitoes feed on us. Go."

"Er... um..." (Y/N)'s brain couldn't process that fast, not to mention she was still shocked by his sudden appearance "... Hold on! We cannot leave you like that!"

She hurriedly took out from her schoolbag a thick scarf with typical check pattern. It was very new and neatly folded, until she unfolded and attempted to wipe his wet hair with it.

"Wait a minute!" Gintoki whipped his head, evading the kindness while glaring at her doubtfully "This looks brand new! Where did this come from?! That guy gave you, didn't he?! I don't want his thing to touch me!"

"What's with you and Kaito-san?!" (Y/N) uttered in horror, then showed him an intact price tag "I just bought it! At the mall! And Kaito-san didn't touch it! Now will you just sit still?!"

That would do then. Gintoki pouted and grumbled like the most ungrateful kid when (Y/N) rubbed his hair with her scarf, but he didn't hate the attention. If anything, it was pleasant to see her up close, being this caring and sweet.