[2.0] The Passing

AN: Ok this is one of my Halloween celebration. It's x Hijikata (I don't know why I start to fall for him hahaha).

Not exactly happy stuff. You have been warned (ง ื▿ ื)ว

Mood song: I was made for loving you - Tori Kelly ft. Ed Sheeran ('• ω •') ♡

***

Working at the Shinsengumi was never an easy job. One was bound to meet all kinds of dangerous criminals, disgusting freaks or just a lazy pervert with weird hair color all around Edo. Hijikata thought he had saw it all until that particular day, he met someone a bit more peculiar.

Returning from patrol duty, Hijikata saw Yamazaki who was delivering parcels to respective personnel and called him over:

"Did you manage to get the file I requested?"

"Yes, Vice Commander. I put it on your desk."

Surprised at the information, he smacked Yamazaki on the head as he quickly rushed back to his office, yelling:

"Didn't I order you to hand it to me DIRECTLY?! You will be punished for this!!!"

Slamming the door open, his heart sank at what he saw: the figure of (Y/N) sitting at his desk, reading the said file. He stomped over and snatched the document away from her:

"STOP IT! Don't read it!!!"

She stared at him momentarily, then a smile spread on her lips, adorning her beautiful translucent features:

"It's not such a big deal, Hijikata-san. I might be able to remember something."

The Vice Commander furrowed his eyebrows, taking a look at the documents, his heart sank further although he knew what to expect.

Case 1408: The murder of (Y/N) (L/N)
[Unsolved]

***

It was a heavy rainy day in August when they first met each other. The Shinsengumi successfully raid an abandoned house used by a criminal group as their hideout. Ordering his subordinates to escort the prisoners back, Hijikata made a last check on the crime scene, while taking time to enjoy some cigarettes. Through the hazy cloud of fumes, his eyes met her (E/C) eyes, looking out from the kitchen. That startled him because if there was anyone else besides the prisoners, he would have been alerted a while ago.

"You... You can see me!" The girl blurted out as she approached the confused guy. He instantly held out his katana, ordering her to stay put. His experience alerted him that this girl could be a dangerous enemy and he wouldn't be fooled by how helpless she looked.

"Who are you?" He asked coldly.

"I'm not a threat, officer." She stepped back, looking nervously at the sharp blade. After a short while, she took a deep breath and walked towards him.

"I told you to stay back! Don't make me attack you in defense!"

"You see, officer." She smiled softly "I'm not even something you can cut down."

She put out her palm and run it through his sword. The sharp blade went through her hand, literally, like there was nothing there, like it was going through air as her hand turned transparent.

"I'm just a ghost."

The Shinsengumi Vice Commander fainted in terror on his first encounter with the supernatural. The last thing he remembered was the image of that girl, looking down at him with a broken smile.