[5.35] Backed It Up

AN: Tadaa! My readers, I have a surprise for you...
.
.
.
This is not the final chapter yet ('°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥ω°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥`)

It should be the last but it grows so so so long that I have to break into two. Guess I'll be here for another week hehe.

Countdown clock: 1

***

"Gin-San...."

"Hey Gin-san... Wake up..."

The girl shyly patted his pillow. Her hand hovered in the air for a moment before she tried to wake him up again. Just when she was about to touch his shoulder, he snatched her wrist and grumpily said:

"What?"

That stunned her a little but the sound of her brother and their dog ran into the room shooed away that feeling:

"Gin-San. It's night time already. You said you will take—"

The little boy landed his whole body on the sleepy man and the sister was sure she heard some bones cracked. Her brother jumped up and down between Gintoki's painful wail.

"Nii-san! Let's go! Let's go!"

The sister giggled, watching Gintoki unwillingly carry her brother on his back as they made their way to the village's river. It was full moon festival today and their village had a small celebration to which Gintoki had promised to take the boy there.

They didn't know anything about the silver hair man except that he was a wanderer searching for something. He came by their village one day and asked for food in exchange for labor work. They could use some help though and in the blink of an eye, the mysterious man had been staying here for three weeks and the sister knew he was gonna leave anytime soon.

"Nii-san! Do you know what is this?"

"No. I don't." Gintoki brushed the boy off as he found a comfortable spot on the river bank to continue his slumber.

"It's a paper lantern. Why are you so stupid?"

"Say again?!"

Although they were wary of him at first, he fit in in no time with his ludicrous personality. The girl always thought anyone who could handle difficult children like her brother couldn't be a bad person. He wouldn't tell, but every time he fought with the kid, he blurted out that he had dealt with way worse brats before, such as an inhuman Yato brat, or a brat who was a pair of glasses, or a brat who liked to hurt people.

He looked like he wanted to shred her brother into two but when he wrote their mother's name on the lantern, he did it with utmost respect. Their mother was not dead. She worked in the city and could only come back every few years. Writing your loved one's name on the lantern and letting it fly up the sky during full moon was the village's tradition to pray for their well being.

She could write it for sure, but her brother was so attached to Gintoki that he pestered the man to do the deed.

"Nii-san! You write too! Write write! Wish them good health!" The kid cheerfully turned the lantern around while Gintoki groaned:

"It's enough! Release it and let me go back to sleep. Shoo!"

"Don't miss this chance, Gin-san." The girl suggested as she gently tapped on the empty side "We have plenty of space... maybe for your 'bratty' friends?"

"No thanks. Those brats are so strong the only way to kill them is detonating the whole planet."

"How's about..." The sister paused, assessing his mood and whether he would kill her for daring to say this or not "......(Y/N)?"