Chapter 18

Ok guys, I need your help with something! I want to start naming my chapters, starting with Chapter 1. :) if you guys have any suggestions then please let me know. Ok. Here's the next chapter! :D

-I didn't read over this. There are probably mistakes. Also, keep in mind that I do this from n y phone, so sometimes auto correct likes to duck up my words.

    "Damn," I groaned as I reached for my favorite almond joy-flavored coffee creamer.

    It was empty, except for a few drops. Not enough for me. I figured that I would just put milk in it this time, but much to my dismay, when I took the milk from the refrigerator, it was out of date!

    "Guess I will have to go to the convenience store," I said out loud to myself as I walked back into my bedroom to get dressed.

    I was really desperate for my coffee this morning, as I haven't been sleeping well lately. I had this feeling in the pit of my stomach like something wasn't right or something was about to happen. I also couldn't take my mind off of that threatening note or Arielle. It was all I could think about lately and it had been keeping me awake all night. It didn't help either that I felt like I had a huge gaping hole in my heart; not being able to be with Arielle was nowhere near as painful as pretending that I wasn't in love with her. Every time I referred to her as "Miss Fischer" or when she would call me "Monsieur Mercer", I could feel my heart breaking more and more. She was doing so good, pretending there was nothing there between us, and I wondered if it was killing her as much as it was me.

   I exhaled heavily before getting out of my car to go inside the store. When I walked in, I saw her. Standing there at the counter while the cashier rang up her items and placed them in a bag. I could tell just by her appearance that something was wrong. Her hair was a mess, her makeup was smeared, and she looked like she was wearing what she probably wore to bed.

    When she saw me, she seemed anxious and she tried to avoid looking at me. In an attempt to avoid me, she accidentally bumped into me. She wreaked of alcohol and vomit and I figured that she had had so much to drink last night that it made her sick. I was disappointed that she would drink so much, but then I realized it was probably because of the situation. I couldn't blame her for it.

    "Good morning, Chérie," I said, letting my guard down briefly as I greeted her by the pet name I had given her when we first met.

    I looked into her beautiful, emerald-green eyes. Yes, she was a mess, but she was still beautiful to me. She smiled at me for a moment until her expression turned to grief.

    "Sir..." she barely acknowledged me Before running out of the store.

    I realized that this was hurting her just ad much as me, if not more. I suddenly felt consumed by rage. Arielle was hurting. And whoever wrote that note was the cause of this pain. This had to stop. I needed to find out who this person was and put an end to this. No matter what!

    I grabbed the creamer and the milk I had come for and paid the older gentleman before leaving. I was determined to get home and figure this out.

    When I got home, I made my much needed coffee and did my best to think of who it could be. I literally spent my whole day trying to come up with people and motives but nothing...until about 6:00 when I got a text from someone.

I don't understand. Why do you choose her over me?! -Angela

    I glowered at the message on my phone. It was just like her to be jealous. A thought struck me as I was getting ready to reply and I dropped my phone to the ground. Why do you choose her over me? I realized that she knew.