Chapter 7

When I opened my eyes I could see M. Mercer and my dad, and soon Meghan walked in. Before I knew it I felt M. Mercer's lips on mine. It completely took me by surprise. It was different this time and I felt something wet on the top of my cheek. He was crying. Just like my dad was that time before. He was happy. I couldnt help but be happy too, though.

    M. Mercer drew his lips from mine and looked into my eyes.

    "Good morning, Chérie," he said sweetly and with a genuine smile, not his usual smirk.

    I blushed and smiled back at him, "G-good morning." I looked at the lock on the wall and saw that it was 11:58 pm. "More like evening," I said.

    I then realized something. HE JUST K-KISSED ME IN FRONT OF MY DAD! I looked over to my dad to see what his reaction would be. He didn't seem upset about it , instead he was focused on M. Mercer. When M. Mercer turned to my dad, he just gave him a slight nod like he had his approval. But why does he need his approval? It's not like he's my boyfriend or we're dating. We've only shared a few kisses!

    I pushed those thoughts away as I tried to remeber what had happened to me. I remembered walking to my car...with him and sharing another kiss, then I got in and wrote in my journal. I remeber putting it in the passenger seat and pulling out of my parking space, but what happened after that?

    Just then I felt my face sting. when I went to touch it I felt a strange texture and I knew right away what it was. I realized I was covered in a lot of bandages and I had many places that were stitched up. I started to tear up as I looked to where my dad was sitting.

    "Daddy," I said quietly, trying to keep the tears from running down my face. "What happened to me."

    Part of me was afraid that my mother had been in my car and she attacked me again. But then the logical part of me said that was impossible; she doesn't know where I go to school or what I drive. The other part then thought that maybe she had found out somehow. I went back and forth between logic and irrationality.

    "You were in a car accident, sweetheart," he said and I felt better, "you were hit head on by a drunk driver. He didn't survive. Vincent here saw it happen and he ran to help you."

    I flashed back for a moment. I could remember the glass flying everywhere and somebody calling my name. It was him, M. Mercer.

    "You passed out from the shock," my dad finished explaining.

    I looked at M. Mercer. I felt guilty for what I said about not trusting him before,  "Thank you, M. Merc-"

    "Just call me Vincent when we aren't in class, okay," he said, cupping my cheek in his hand.

    I closed my eyes and touched his hand with mine. His hands were really soft and comforting.

    "Okay," I responded softly.

    I suddenly felt drained. I was so tired and I winced in pain. It wasn't one particular place that hurt, it was everything, although my abdomen hurt significantly more than anything else.

    "What hurts, Arielle," everybody asked me at the same time.

    I held my ribs and again winced in pain.

    "Everything," I answered. "But mainly my ribs."

    "I'll go find a nurse and see if she can get you some pain medicine," Meg said from the background.

    My God.  I forgot she was even here. She's never been so calm and quiet!

    "Thank you," I said, and just like that she was gone.