Chapter 32

Here it is! :D I actually finished this on Wednesday or Thursday; it just took me a while to find time to put it all together and read over it. I only have a little bit of time every other day to work on this, so I have to do it in parts and then a put it on wattpad.

I clenched my fists in annoyance as the woman in front of me sat back in her seat, arms crossed, and smiling. I gritted my teeth and resisted the urge to do anything stupid.

"Well, are you going to ask me anything," she feigned annoyance, "or am I just supposed to sit here and look pretty?"

"I want to know how you did it!" I demanded harshly.

She looked confused.

"How I did wha-"

"You know damn well "what"!" I almost yelled at her. "I want to know how a mother could possibly hurt their child! How could you hate your daughter so much that you would abuse her and then one day take a knife and stab her in the back! How could you try to kill your own-"

"STOP!!" she screamed.

I stopped and looked at the woman in front of me. She was shaking and holding her head in her hands as she cried. She looked at me for a brief moment and I recognized the look in her eyes. It was exactly the same look that Arielle got when she had flashbacks. Then it dawned on me that she didn't want to remember. Because it was painful for her. When she finally came out of it, she was quiet and not smiling like she was before. She sat there and looked like she was thinking.

"You have to believe me when I say that I NEVER hated my daughter," she pleaded. "I know that I did terrible things to her, but I loved her. I still love her."

I furrowed my brows and my blood boiled again.

"No" I said plainly. "You don't try to kill the-"

"Please stop," she said, trying to stay calm. "I- I'm aware of what I did. And I regret it more than anything in my life. I would do anything to take it back, but I can't."

"So why," I asked.

"It wasn't me," she answered vaguely. She paused and took a deep breath. "I mean it WAS but it WASN'T. I wasn't in my right mind and nobody knew it. After Arielle was born I went into a really deep depression and I blamed her. I KNEW I loved her, but I THOUGHT I hated her. I know that doesn't make a lot of sense. But I was crazy and I never sought help because I thought I could control it. I realize that that is my fault. I realize, that had I told someone what I was going through, I could have gotten help and Arielle would have never had to endure any of that."

I was sitting down in the chair across from her by now as I listened to her story. "Arielle thought that there was something that she did to make you hate h-"

"No! No! No!" She said instantly, shaking her head, "No! Arielle never did anything. Actually, she was the perfect child. She was so sweet and so trusting."

I sat back and let a slight smile come to my lips, "When I first met her, I would have never thought she was the trusting type. She was very closed off and didn't really want anything to do with others."

"So...Arielle is doing well now?" She asked hopefully and concerned.

I sighed. "It's...complicated." I told her. "She's been through hell her entire life. She was in an accident and then later someone else tried to kill her."

She looked shocked and horrified.

"But her life is good now and she's learning to cope with the bad things that have happened." I looked at her seriously. "She has flashbacks and visions just like you do."