It Wasn't Me

*We hitting them turning points. Get ready for the shit to get rolling!! Don't forget to Vote and comment*

2015

Melinda woke up to the sound of clatter downstairs. Something sounding like it was shattered, prompting her to jump up with the quickness. What the hell could Robert be doing now? It was 5am and she wanted her last full hour of sleep before work. Walking downstairs, she watched Robert rush back and forth in a panic. "Robert....." "Not right now Mel. I'm so close baby. I found the problem." "Robert it's 5am. I have to go to work in a couple hours. Why are you making so much noise?"

"I know and I'm sorry. It's almost perfect Mel. I promise you I'm almost done. We're about to be on easy street. Shit if you want, you can quit your job." "Why didn't you?" Why would I put my faith in a man who has been working on something since college? I turned 30 that year. My time was wasted. I didn't give a damn about that battery. He had just quit yet another job. Putting faith in him wasn't helping me live. It was putting me further into debt. And he had the nerve to say job I had 2 fucking "Jobs."

Robert eyed her on the steps. "What?" "I have jobs. Not a job. I have 2." "Regardless of the number, you won't have any at all when I get this to Prescott. Can you hold on to me just a little longer.  I promise it'll be worth it," he walked closer, attempting to butter her up with kisses. "Not right now Robert. I need to get ready for work." "What is 30 minutes? You said you had some extra time." "Not for you." I said that in the wrong tone or with the wrong words. "Why do you say that?" He hit me and made me fall down 2 stairs.

"Why are you trying to justify it?" I'm not. "You just mentioned that you spoke in the wrong tone or used the wrong words. That's a form of justification."  I said it because that's how I felt after I said that to him. I knew he was about to do something. "Okay. Let's continue then." He slapped me. It felt like his slaps were getting heavier and heavier. I don't even know how he made me fall when he was right in front of me. It's like he slapped and pulled me.

"Did he say anything to you this time?" Yeah. Yeah he definitely couldn't help but to say something. Robert looked at Melinda hold her arm, pain from hitting the bottom step shooting up her body. "Spend your time getting the fuck up since you don't have time for your husband." Mel wanted to cry but what was the point? Finally getting up, she went back upstairs and got in the shower. Silently screaming into the water to relieve her frustrations.

When she got out, she looked in the mirror. His hand print so faintly on her cheek, a bruise forming at the top of her arm. She'd opt for long sleeves and makeup today. Anything to mask what she was dealing with. She looked in her Jewelry box and grabbed a doobie. Taking a few hit before getting work clothes, she was feeling numb to the situation. Maybe he would be sleep by the time she got off work tonight. She prayed he'd be sleep. "Why were you trying to avoid him?"

It was becoming easier to avoid him than to confront him or even leave. I was still trying to figure out how he found me 2 years prior at the club. He had ways of finding me so why leave? He was just going to come find me again. So I would take longer to come home. I'd fall asleep in the car sometimes just so I wouldn't have to hear him or see him. "That's definitely not healthy for the mind." It's better than being dead.

Mel pulled up to the office early, wanting nothing more than to get to work. She got to her desk, looking around for Jo. When she didn't spot her, she looked through the work she had to do for the day. "There you are! Yo Mel. Mel!" Jo tossed out with excitement for reasons unknown. "Are you good?" "Yeah I'm good but you not gonna be." "What are you talking about?" "So word is Mr Montgomery is still pissed about losing his biggest asset. Made his secretary call a meeting asap."