Dancing On My Own

Show us some love.
Comment and Vote🥰

"So your boyfriend at the time was this Devon?" What the hell is with you and repeating shit? Yes. "What was your relationship with him like? Was he like Robert?" He was just Devon. He talked too much. Always looking to be acknowledged some way. He came from a good home, great parents.... I thought we were compatible. Till I realized we were on two different levels...

September 10th, 2002

"How come Melinda gets to bring a boyfriend to dinner? We couldn't even talk about boys." June fussed, as she set the table.

"Yeah how come she gets special treatment." Brenda muttered, setting the fresh rolls on the table. Melinda rollled her eyes mixing the punch.

"For one shes not acting wild on my phones." Beverly spoke, eyeing Brenda hard. Melinda snickered getting a look from her sister.

"And two, you two are the ones who complained nonstop about how boys were apart of life. I'm trying this out so blame yourselves. Lastly, dont be questioning your mother." She added, giving her two oldest stern looks.

"I was just saying..."

"Just saying my ass." She spoke, cutting June off. Shaking her head at her girls she stretched catching Melinda's attention.

"You okay? I'll clean the kitchen tonight." Melinda spoke, adding ice to the pitcher. Beverly smiled turning the oven off.

"I'm fine baby, just getting old child. It's a blessing to be able to cook for the ones you love. Your daddy used to tell me a woman's cooking can tell you just about anything you want to know." Beverly mused, looking up at his picture above the stove. His favorite place in the house right there. 

I admired my mother, soaked up everything she would say. She was so strong. Even though she worked tirelessly she did it with a smile. Why? Because we appreciated it. We made sure to show her that. My father treated my mother with the upmost respect and care. I wanted their relationship....but I wasnt my mother.

Putting the dinner spread on the table. Melinda fixed her hair and changed her clothes. Much to her siblings poking. Waiting for the man of the hour to show, she mentally prepared. Extra nervous about this meeting. Her mother's opinion meant everything to her. Hearing the doorbell ring she jumped heading downstairs to seeing three bodies crowding the doorway. Standing on the otherside of the door smiling brightly at the women eyeing him was Devon. Dressed nicer than usual with some flowers. Pushing through her family Melinda smiled.

"Hi Devon, come in. Are these for me?" She smiled giving him a hug.

"Actually they are for your mother." He spoke, Beverly smiled reaching for them even though on the inside was a frown. She absolutely hated rose's but the boy couldn't possibly have known that.

"Mommy this is Devon, Devon this is my mother Beverly." Melinda introduced, Devon stuck his hand out exchanging pleasantries.

"Uh what about us?" June spat, Melinda pursed her lips already annoyed.

"Devon...dumb and dumber."

"Melinda." Beverly snapped walking off to vase the roses.

"...June, Brenda." Melinda sighed pointing her sisters out. They shook hands migrating to the dinner table. Saying grace Beverly gave them the okay to dig in. Everything was going so well I could tell my sisters liked him. I wish to god they didn't though. "And what about your mother?" She wasnt an open book, she only showed her thoughts when she wanted you to see them.