31. Empty Chainmail

Morel found comfort in the silence around them other than the clatter of horse steps and armour. She could see the dark gates and into the shadowed land before them, not a place for any of the fair folk of Arda. Especially two innocent hobbits. 

"Treneri- nin cín inc Meleth nìn, (Tell me your thoughts My love,)" Legolas spoke up, having noticed Morel's fixed gaze on the land ahead of them. 

Since her returned sight he found himself often looking over her face, well more so than normal. Aragorn already teased him enough since Edoras when Legolas would unconsciously stare at Morel, the Ranger claimed his eyes turned to little hearts which was an impossible notion.

But in any free moment he found his eyes drawn to her, gazing until pulled back to his task or caught by another. Morel never caught him though, her ever observant and keen senses did not follow with her eyes.

Now, on the path for one last battle, he worried over what she kept in her mind. Her plans and ideas always came out reckless, even if she didn't intend them to, and he believed that would not change even if their hearts were together as so. He understood why, her people at the forefront of her mind, but it concerned him nevertheless.

"Ennas na- limb fuin bo limb galad dór, (There is much darkness on such pure land,)" Morel mused, words vague but understandable enough, eyes meeting his blue ones. Different shades presented themselves, the words that the sky blue could darken into brown being believable as small flecks of gold shimmered by his irises. 

Moving her eyes to Gimli she watched him huff at their elvish, turning to converse with the hobbit riding behind Éomer. 

Merry and Pippin joined them once more, deeming it to be an insult to their family names if they did not aid in the last task to help Frodo and Sam. Morel admired their spirits. 

Hobbits were tough folk, loyal to their friends. 

"Fuin nev lelya. Adel sídh a galad, Nín gîl. (A darkness soon gone. Then peace and light, My star.)" Legolas smiled as Morel returned her gaze to him. Letting her lips curl upwards, a soft smile over her face as a lot of tension left her expression, she nodded in agreement to his words.

The new nickname she also found sweet, cheeks flushing in turn. To Legolas it was nothing but a small token of his love, and Morel did not know how to react to it. So she offered a small smile before focusing on the journey ahead of them. 

With every step the dark gates drew nearer. 

The land around them remained barren, anything that once lived here had fled from the dark powers spreading out from Mordor. Even the sun dared not shed light on the tainted grounds, clouds filling the air above the dark land. 

With each new step Celebrandir took the lurking magic of Sauron felt stronger to Morel. She knew Legolas could feel the increasing darkness, elves being very sensitive to such things as they remained pure beings, and she could tell by the tightening fist on Gandalf's sword that the wizard felt the magic as well. Even Celebrandir had his ears pinned back, Morel giving him a gentle pat on the side of his neck in silent assurance.

It's coldness draws you in, making you wonder what exactly makes you feel so cold yet welcoming. 

Morel had been warned by her Lady if she ever came across powers that felt cold and intrusive to wander in the opposite direction. They only ever brought burdens and ill will.

Yet here she remained, riding forward to such powers. She did so while following the quest given to her. 

Morel had never passed up a quest before, she knew the pains and consequences of failing or misusing the magic and knowledge given to her so never even thought of denying a quest. But by nearing the dark magic did she not ignore the words of her Lady? So a consequence would be given, all because she progressed on completing the quest entrusted to her.