Chapter 14 ✪ Decisions to Make

Morrandir aided slightly in setting Boromir on one of the boats. Aragorn intended to allow him to have a warrior's funeral and let his body float down the river with all his weapons to aid him in the afterlife. An honourable gesture. 

Morrandir had been the one to fetch the boat from down the river. While he did so, he could see the small figures of Sam and Frodo on the other side of the river, stumbling out of the shallow water. 

He had not said to the others about their parting, he would have had to explain how he saw it from such a long distance away. But when Frodo turned back to the shore for one last parting look Morrandir gave him a kind wave and a bow, indicating that everything was alright. 

Seeing the elf part in such calm ways sent a boost of confidence through Frodo; he knew he was doing the right thing. 

Morrandir returned with one of the boats and Legolas and Aragorn placed Boromir's body inside it, Gimli arming the man with his sword and shield. There were no parting words as they set the boat in the water, a calm and peaceful silence smothering the air. 

He knew the others were watching the boat be pushed down the stream by the current. It would soon reach the end of the river and follow the water over the falls of Rauros, disappearing into the vapour below. 

There was a slight hope in Morrandir's mind that Boromir would somewhat join the Council of Stars. The voices making up the Council came from a range of beings who had, at one time or another, walked across Middle Earth, hence their all knowing knowledge. Although the two had not seen eye to eye Morrandir knew he was a good man at heart, a good man under to influence of dark powers, and believed a seat in the Council above would be fitting for him. 

But then again, he had thought the same for Gandalf but had not heard a peep from the joyful Wizard. 

Legolas was the first to speak once the boat fell from view. He had at one point retrieved the last boat from closer to their camp, having realised that the first was missing, as were two of the hobbits. 

"Hurry, Frodo and Sam have reached the eastern shore." He told them while loading his bow and pack into the wooden vessel. Morrandir did not follow his prompt, nor did Aragorn. 

"You mean not to follow them," Legolas observed in a disheartened tone as his focus was on Aragorn who sat on a tall stone. His eyes were tracing over the details on the arm guards that had previously belonged to Boromir. 

Morrandir stood closest to the water, the toes of his shoes being splashed by the small waves, and was rinsing his swords of Uruk-Hai blood. He had retrieved his pack, which now sat back on his back, already prepared for the next part of his quest. He needed to save the two Troublemakers. 

"Frodo's fate is no longer in our hands," Aragorn told Legolas, Morrandir giving a nod of agreement to the Ranger as he dried his blades on his cloak. 

"Then it has all been in vain; the Fellowship has failed." Gimli said gloomily, both him and Legolas becoming much more downcast that they had failed their purpose. The one thing that they had pledged themselves to was too far gone for them to catch up. 

They had failed.

"You are wrong there, Master Dwarf," Morrandir told him, casting the attention on him. "There are two others in need of aid. My Lady had warned me that we would have to help the Ring Bearer and Gardener elsewhere and else how."

Legolas pondered on the wise words, deciphering their meaning as Aragorn gave an agreeing nod. 

"Not if we hold true to each other. We will not abandon Merry and Pippin to torment and death, not while we have strength left." He declared, continuing the more upbeat tone while replying to Gimli as he returned to his pack.