41. Catching Up

Alcohol, food, music, and dancing.

The perfect mixture for a celebration. 

And many would agree as they filled their stomachs, quenched their thirst, sung with the bards, or danced in the mess of stumbling dancers at the centre of the hall. 

Everyone and anyone had been invited to attend the feast in the King's Hall but some decided to join the street parties with their neighbours and friends instead. The whole of the White City danced and sang as the moon replaced the sun, and went into the hours of the night.

Morel found her stomach full of bread and stew, watching Legolas and Gimli drink until Gimli's sight left him seeing doubles and trios of everyone. 

That's when the hobbits, mostly Merry and Pippin, started dancing upon the table, singing a tune of their own with a slur in the words. Frodo and Sam sang as well, their voices unaffected by any drinks, while everyone around clapped to their tune.

"You can shearch far 'n wide,
You can 'rink the 'hole town dry,
But you'll never 'ind a beer sho brown,"

Morel sat beside Arwen, the latter giggling away as Aragorn tried calming the two ale filled hobbits down to only get dragged into their dancing. Of course the crowd wanted to see their King join all the fun and games, so that he did.

The small table, Arwen, Elrond, Frodo, Gandalf, Legolas, Morel and Sam, watched as Aragorn kept dancing. Gimli joined Merry and Pippin, the trio never allowing Aragorn escape until they got distracted by a refill of their tankards. Then Aragorn made his escape, sitting back in his chair with a huff. 

"Already tired?" Morel questioned, raising a brow at the new King. Aragorn took a long swig out of his own cup, the crimson wine staining the skin above his top lip, before shaking his head. 

"I do believe you owe someone a dance," Gandalf spoke up, smoke rings floating above him as he tilted his head in Arwen's direction, thus also pointing to Morel as well. 

Legolas, not completely sober but unaffected by the weaker alcohol, jumped from his chair before Aragorn could react. A twinkle sat in his icy blue eyes, his hand held out to Morel. 

"Would you grace me with a dance?" 

Rolling her eyes, Morel gave a nod, watching as Aragorn offered his hand to Arwen as well. 

"Shall we see if you have improved?" Morel queried, walking away from the table and to the designated dance space. "at Kar Ditel lin Kar Astrula? [The Dance of The Stars?]"

"Oh, I've not danced that in centuries. Before you left to be the Night's Wanderer!" Arwen gushed, giving a small excited skip as her and Aragorn tailed the elven couple. 

Aragorn chuckled while Legolas rolled his eyes. They accepted the challenge, and as the four made their way down to the dance floor other elves (unaffected by the served alcohol) joined in. A small assemble of paired dancers littered the ground, drawing the attention of the more mortal crowd. 

Morel had explained to the small band of musicians that with every clap they need to just increase their tempo, the rest is up to the dancers. The dance could fit most upbeat songs, a remarkable characteristic which meant anyone with the knowledge of the dance could perform it. 

Once all in place, the leading partner bowing and the follower taking the outstretched hand, music flowed over the hall. Those eating or drinking turned their attention to the circle of elves, watching as they started moving in sync across the floor. 

Morel and Arwen led the following half, moving in time as they circled their partner. Aragorn and Legolas led the leading half, waiting until their partner stood back in front of them before breaking out into a quicker set of steps. For all the other elves it became a game of follow the leader.