42. An Understanding

The days after the coronation became busy for all within Gondor. Instead of the organised chaos everyone experienced for the weeks before the coronation there now lurked a busyness of royal responsibility. 

Aragorn started to set in motion different Kingly acts, Arwen at his side every step of the way unless she was excused to spend time with Morel. Morel pointed out during one of their walks that the elleth had taken on the role of the Queen already, not that it would take too long for the title to be official. 

For the rest of the Fellowship the discussion of parting ways came about. Clearly Aragorn had much to do, the hobbits all wanted to return to the Shire as it had been a year since their impromptu departure, Gimli had news to take to Erebor, Legolas knew his father would expect him home soon as Devron and the others would inform Thranduil of the Prince's presence at the coronation, and Gandalf needed to meet with the Council of Wizards. 

Morel figured she could make the trip back to Rivendell after escorting the hobbits to the Shire. She had always meant to visit, finally see the home Bilbo had described in their past endeavours, so passing through on her way seemed the  best option. Then she would collect her possessions from Rivendell, and maybe take up Legolas on his offer to join him in Mirkwood. 

The couple had discussed very little of their future, Legolas offering Morel a permanent home with him, but he didn't want to rush anything. For a Wanderer used to continual travel settling down would be a big deal for Morel, something Legolas didn't want to pressure. 

As the group sat down for breakfast, a map laid out over the centre of the table, they all discussed the best route for their travels. 

They would follow the Anduin north, Gimli making his own way on to Erebor before they come across the forest of Mirkwood. Morel voiced that she knew a safe passage to go through the Misty Mountains, then after that she would guide the hobbits home before venturing to Rivendell. Gandalf remained undecided on his departure location, and Legolas remained elusive with his plans. In truth he hadn't decided, but he would probably follow where Morel goes if she lets him, if not then to Mirkwood he would go. 

After that the group figured that they should start planning and packing. 

They would leave by the end of the week, before the weather gets too hot and storms more likely. Morel voiced that the flat plains they would travel over first get water logged quickly, the weather a quick killer if you're not experienced or equipped for such conditions. The hobbits all agreed with her plan, they didn't exactly want to be swimming home. 

Morel became the designated leader for their venture home, Gandalf still pondering his own plan, so Morel took the considerations of them all before setting out their journey properly. They would need safe spaces to set up camp -shelter and forageable food sources- and a reasonably direct route that hits the markers for them all. 

Sitting around the table in the great hall Morel picked at the fruit bowl before her as Legolas pointed to some sheltered spots they could camp in not far from Auduin. Their map laid out over the table, dried fruits marking areas with food while a few pebbles marked possibly campsites. 

"There is a thicket of trees here, dense and safe, I think that will make a suitable camp once we depart with Gimli." Legolas explained, an apple in his hand. The pair had been trying to finish their planning after breakfast to inform the Fellowship of the final plan at lunch. 

The next task would be estimating how long their journey would take, and with that packing a suitable volume of food. Water they could get from the river but food is a different matter. They could forage in most areas, Morel seeing this as a chance to test Merry and Pippin's knowledge, so there wouldn't be a fear of going hungry.