Chapter 7 ✪ Not so Easy Passage

As they head up out of the valley from Rivendell Morrandir stopped as the horse beside him grunted softly. The others walked on as Morrandir held the muzzle of the steed with both hands, his forehead meeting that of Celebrandir.

From afar, standing on a small stone platform, Legolas watched the actions of his kin with the steed.

Small words left the lips of the Wanderer as he brushed a braid to the horse's forehead. "I will see you again my friend, and you will hear my call through the stars. When I call, expect a battle like none before."

Celebrandir nudged its companion in understanding before stepping back. He bowed slightly to Morrandir, who mirrored the gesture, before galloping off in the opposite direction. He was once again free to the lands around them.

With a small sigh Morrandir turned around and heaved his pack further up his back before starting up in quick nimble steps up the rocky terrain, this time alone. He caught up with the Fellowship who sat at the valley's top, allowing the hobbits to catch their breath from the small trek.

Gandalf sent him a small sorrowful look. "He parted from you?" Gandalf questioned lightly.

Morrandir nodded and looked behind him. In the distance, he could still watch Celebrandir as the steed traversed over the rocky terrain.

"He will be home by the sun's setting, back with his kin until the Council sees fit."

Sam glanced away from Bill the pony while listening to Morrandir's words. The elf wore an expression of slight sadness as his companion of many years left his range of sight.

It had been many decades since he travelled without an animal companion at his side. Yes he had the Fellowship but the bonds between them was still rickety. Animals normally gave unconditional trust and friendship when shown simple gestures of care and companionship, well that's what Morrandir had experienced anyway.

Setting off again Morrandir stayed at the back, bringing up the rear Aragorn told him, as they trekked through deep valleys. 

They often took rest in the more peculiar areas of land to stay hidden from any other travellers. This was Aragorn's idea but a natural instinct for the Wandering Elf.

Sam would cook only when Aragorn deemed it safe and the group took turns for rest. But for Morrandir rest came less frequently. At night his Lady and her Council would converse, involving Morrandir in their discussion much more than they used to. He would part from the group, staying within range but far enough not to bother those sleeping as he spoke to the Council above.

Some nights the young hobbits would become homesick, missing their comfortable hill houses in the Shire. Morrandir would request Sam boil some water on the ash of the fire. With that water, he would make some calming draughts mixed with ingredients that induce sleep in the drinker. This eased them into a restful sleep, putting them in peace while out in the wild lands. 

With no free time at night, talking to the Council or taking watch as it was a fairly shared role between all the Fellowship, Morrandir found himself with a constant ache in his bones as they trekked over the more challenging pieces of land, a large mountain coming closer as they walked.

Gandalf had told Morrandir of his plan, a course west of the Misty Mountain for forty days towards the Gap of Rohan if it was still open. There on it would be east to Mordor before the real journey begins.

Once reaching the Eregion Hills the Fellowship rested. It was a sheltered keep, high to watch over the land around them.

It had been night when they chose to settle down, and the Council was awake but they decided not to bother their Wanderer. Instead, they let him rest on his pack, not once concerning him with any thoughts.