Chapter 17 ✪ Horses and Worms

As the newly made group of five came out of the tree line of Fangorn Forest Morrandir listened to the tune Gandalf whistled. It was a different tune, covering many leagues, and somewhat hurt Morrandir's ears. 

With a distanced neigh, he could make out two advancing figures, a smile slowly etched onto his face as he realised who it was.   

"That is one of the Mearas," Legolas smiled slightly at the sight of a Horse Lord, "unless my eyes are cheated by some spell."

Shadowfax, a Mearas that was a friend of Gandalf's, as well as a grey steed, came closer and closer to the band of misfits. 

As the two came closer, Morrandir grinned, running forward to the grey steed before the two of them collided. Wrapping his arms around Celebrandir's neck, Morrandir trusted the horse as his feet rose off the ground, swinging to sit on the horse's back. 

With a lack of his sight, Morrandir let his ears take control of his surroundings. 

"Shadowfax. He's the Lord of all horses, and he's been my friend through many dangers." Gandalf informed them as the white steed stopped before them. 

Gandalf chuckled as Morrandir sat contently on Celebrandir's back, scratching the horse behind the ear. "And Celebrandir, Morrandir's companion and Shadowfax's offspring."

Shadowfax gave a soft huff before walking over to the horse and elf, gently nudging Morrandir for a greeting. It had been a while since he saw the Night Wanderer, but Celebrandir had told him much of their adventures.

"It has been a long time, old friend," Morrandir petted behind the Horse Lord's ear, "And it has been some long months." He told Celebrandir, who snorted in agreement.

Gandalf gave Aragorn and Legolas a short nod as they held the reins to the horses from Éomer, telling them to prepare for some travelling. 

"I will do well to guess you will ride Celebrandir?" Aragorn questioned Morrandir, who gave a quick nod. 

Legolas approached as Gimli tried mounting the white Rohanian steed, being wary as the grey horse's eyes watched him. 

"He is beautiful." Legolas complimented, his hand slowly making its way to stroke Celebrandir's neck.

"He is," Morrandir agreed. 

Although Morrandir had never actually seen the coat or the mane of the horse that was one of his most trusted friends, his personality and abilities made him a beautiful creature.

Celebrandir watched the Elven Prince clearly after noticing the more relaxed nature in the voice and body of the Wanderer on his back. This meant the other elf must be a friend; giving a slight shake of his head, Celebrandir welcomed the soft touch from the stranger. 

"It would be best if we go soon." Gandalf spoke up as Shadowfax trotted over. He made a few noises which the other horses understood, before starting off in the direction of Rohan after Legolas got on the white Rohanian horse. 

With the four horses now at a gallop, Morrandir sat low against Celebrandir's back, the duo soon leading the group as they were swifter than the rest. 

The dark grey steed and grey-haired rider became a blur against the more open lands around the Kingdom of Rohan. 

With his head not too far from Celebrandir's ear, Morrandir caught him up on the occurrences since their departure in the valley of Rivendell. The most Celebrandir would do in reply would be snort, but Morrandir understood the small action never the less. 

The duo had spent years with one another, travelling across the various terrains of Middle Earth. They had trekked through snow, meandered down rivers, waded through marshes and clambered up and down mountains.