Chapter 6 ✪ A Journey's Beginning

As the night drew to a close Morrandir was released from the voices of the Council above.

The sun rose up into the blue sky as he lay, panting slightly, on the grass. His mind became clear and still as he listened to the chirp of the birds in the trees and the light snores of those sleeping around him.

"She releases you then?" Gandalf questioned quietly.

Morrandir jumped slightly at his words. Under his breath, he muttered a small series of words in the ancient language. "Marsay tula palk al- rindora. [World energy give me sight.]" As the last word left his lips the area around him filled with squiggly white lines against the black of his sight.

Gandalf was sitting on a stone to his left, he was at a distance from the Fellowship. Standing, while shaking slightly, Morrandir joined him upon the stone. Gandalf was smoking his pipe, a pine-like scent meeting Morrandir's nose as he embraced the morning air.

"Yes she releases me. Once the moon is gone its Council draws quiet until its appearance the next eve." Morrandir reminded him.

Gandalf nodded at his friend's words. It had been a long time since the two had seen one another. So long that Morrandir had learnt much more about the Council which he had never known.

"You need not my guidance to walk as well." Gandalf broke the silence and commented on his observation of the male's previous actions.

Before, in a time well passed, Morrandir would need a hand to guide him unless in the presence of the Council above where they would guide him across the lands.

"I do not," The corners of Morrandir's thin lips rose into a light smile. "Since our last departure I have proven myself to the Council, and in return they give me spells of an old magic and more for healing. The first was of one to see; I can see outlines and squiggles further than any Elven eye as long as I hold a foot to the ground."

He illustrated his point by turning the front of his boot in the soil at the bottom of the rock.

Gandalf nodded again while taking a puff of his pipe. His blind friend could see- he surely didn't think of that happening.

As the morning drew to noon the rest of the Fellowship awoke from slumber. Before the first had even risen Morrandir parted from Gandalf with errands to run for tomorrow would be the day they depart from this safe haven. To see it again Morrandir remained unsure.

The day followed with many preparations. Food was being packed and weapons tended to. But for Morrandir he took a different approach than the others. From noon until early evening he slept, his body lay on his bed with one foot on the sheets and the other hanging just above the ground before awakening to a knock on his door.

As the knock resonated around his room Morrandir mumbled ancient words while his boot toes brushed the ground, before seeing the owner of the knock to be a Hobbit, to which he stood from his bed and opened the door.

The hobbit smiled towards him before speaking. "Lord Elrond wishes us to dine with him," Frodo's voice was happy and joyful. "We'll be gathered in the main hall in a few minutes, and I wish for you to join us."

Morrandir, accepting the offer, picked his belt from his bed and secured it to his waist before following the halfling down the hall. Frodo spoke kindly to the male as they journeyed through the corridors; he had yet a chance to hear much of Morrandir from Morrandir.

A little way along Morrandir bid himself the chance to speak as Frodo took a slight pause from his rambling.

"Why are you not hesitant of me like the others?" Morrandir questioned the young hobbit.