Chapter 8 ✪ From Overground to Underground

As soon as they came to solid ground the group stopped for a small rest. Morrandir thanked Legolas immensely for his help in the snow once they found somewhere suitable, slightly away from the snow edge, to pause. Legolas returned the gesture with a small smile before walking to speak to Aragorn.

Quietly Morrandir whispered out a string of ancient words, Boromir glanced at him as the words left his thin lips. In his mind the world around him grew, white squiggly lines outlining everything for leagues around. Everything was mostly stone right now, very little vegetation, but he could spot some trees far off. 

Sighing in relief, Morrandir took his cloak hood from his head and sat on a rock nearby. Gandalf was gathering his bearings before they were to depart to the land of dwarves. Gimli was more than excited they would be going that way.

Taking a moment to rest Morrandir wondered the time as his Lady had not entered his mind. He knew on the mountain top it was the clouds blocking her voice, leaving him blind, so now he wondered if it was the same. 

It was unusual for them to stay silent willingly.

Trying to distract his thoughts he watched as everyone sat on the ground or stones. The hobbits were trying to rid their cloaks of snow while Gandalf was looking around for the route he knew. It had been a long while since any had come to this part of the land.

"We must go down the cliff until we meet a lake." Gandalf declared before starting to walk down the mountain slope.

The others picked their stuff up and followed. This time Morrandir ensured to stay in the middle of the group so as to not be a burden by lagging behind, again.

As he walked he could hear Gimli speak of the dwarven land the Fellowship would be blessed in seeing. He spoke of how the dwarves knew great riches that the land had blessed them with and their fine and detailed craftsmanship would amaze even the Elven Prince. 

Legolas scoffed at the notion.

To be honest, Morrandir had been wanting to visit some old dwarven acquaintances and see how their culture differed from that of men and elves, but his Lady had not guided him to this area of Middle Earth, so reconnecting would have to wait.

As they descended, Morrandir caught up to Gandalf. "What does the Council say?" The Wizard asked. Morrandir concluded the time to be night, or near night, as Gandalf knew when the Council spoke.

"There must be a cloud cover for they are silent." He explained. "They have been silent for so long that it is nerving, I have not heard their voices for many nights."

Gandalf glanced at the elf. He knew how Morrandir worked, that he only followed the Council's guidance and could not think of a life like that for himself. He also understood the male's words, he was lost and a shell without the words of the Council as she had always been in his mind since a small elfling.

"Don't worry, my friend. It seems as though the cloud is thinning as we walk." Gandalf smiled as he watched the elf smile in relief at those words.

As they finished their descent they came to the far shore of the lake Gandalf was looking for. Taking in a deep breath through his nose Morrandir could smell the water of the lake and the musty scent of the vegetation around him. It was refreshing.

The clouds, as Gandalf foretold, had thinned and the voices of the Council came to his mind. 'Careful of your tread, the rocks are slippery' a soft voice warned.

Mumbling thanks, Morrandir walked in a curious manner compared to the others. He would stick his foot out to a rock and test its surface before stepping onto it.