Chapter 1 ❂ Home

Legolas and Morrandir sat in silence as Arod and Dûro trotted along the valley path. They both reminisced over the words spoken by Gandalf two nights prior on the wizard's departure, barely paying attention to the path ahead of them. Luckily the path is one Morrandir knows well, spending many youthful years running through it with the twins and Arwen.

Legolas mulled over the promise Gandalf had re-spoken. Just like in Moria, the wizard asked Legolas to keep an eye on their Wanderer. 

Although Morrandir's eyes are no longer veiled the wizard worried about what is to come. This would be the first time since early youth that Morrandir no longer had the voices of the Council telling the elf what to do, and that nerved Gandalf. 

Legolas assured he would keep his heart safe, chalking the concern up to parental worry, but knew better than second-guessing a wizard.

Morrandir, on the other hand, mulled over the idea of what was to come. Gandalf had reminded him of the freedom now in the palm of his hands, all the possible adventures now open to him. He could travel and meet old acquaintances from journeys in the past. Travel to new lands and learn more about the world unhindered by the forces pulling him this way and that. Or, even, settle down and find a place to call home.

Morrandir wasn't sure about the last idea. Home had been a haven before all his people were slaughtered. Rivendell had become a safe haven but not a home; Morrandir didn't want his heart broken again once everyone he knew moved to the next stages of their lives as the era of men started. And no other place offered such a feeling. 

But being beside Legolas, that offered a warmth Morrandir's heart longed for. An effortless warmth and sense of belonging radiated off the Woodland Prince, a sense of home.

Morrandir figured that the pair need to discuss what they would do next. Where they would go after Rivendell was unknown, but they would figure it out. 

They have all the time in the world to do so.

Coming up to the gates of Rivendell Morrandir gazed upon the halls of his youth with a soft look. 

It had been centuries since seeing the stone halls and flowering gardens his younger self had spent many years running and hiding in, and seeing it through magic did little justice. Whether he trained with his blades with the twins or listened to stories of the outside world from books read aloud by Arwen, every little crevice of Rivendell held fond memories.

Elrond stood at the entranceway past the gate; behind him the twins stood waiting. They shared a glance, eye shining with something Legolas had seen Merry and Pippin's eyes shine with many times. Before a warning could be said Morrandir found himself sprawled out across the grass after jumping off his saddle.

The twins had tackled the grey-haired elf, and now the trio wrestled in the grass as laughter echoed in the valley. 

Dûro huffed, digging at the ground with his front hoof in protest to the playfulness of the strangers. A few times he nosed the trio, trying to push either dark-haired ellon off his rider, but it never succeeded.

Elrond sighed deeply at their antics, listening as laughter echoed in the valley, before welcoming Legolas back. "Your journey back went well I presume, all parties accounted for?"

Legolas nodded, smiling as Morrandir wrestled against the twins -he couldn't tell who was winning, but it all seemed fun to the trio. Elrond waved his hand, motioning to the horses, before taking Arod's reins. Legolas took Dûro's, promising the dark steed his rider would be fine, and followed Elrond to the open paddock for the horses.

They released the pair from their saddles and reins, storing the riding gear in a shed that is seldom opened, and would likely not be opened any time soon. With a shake of his mane, the few beads braided into the dark hair rattling, Dûro trotted off with Arod in tow. The pair headed towards to large oak tree, Elrond smiling at how familiar the scene before him seemed.