21. Needed Aid

Aragorn tossed the dwarf, aiming for the head of the Causeway, before leaping over the space himself. Gimli let out a mighty war cry as he swung his axe, orc and Uruk-hai being flung off the stone bridge in return.

Morrandir followed, landing between the fallen bodies before swinging his swords to get rid of the foe causing pressure on the gate. The bodies didn't pile up, instead they fell to the side as more dark foe pushed forward, eager to kill the dwarf, man or elf.

Morrandir's ears could make out some shouts from the other side of the door, between the beats of his heart that still hammered in his skull, the soldiers finally given the chance to brace the gate.

This would hopefully buy them more time.

A secure Keep would be their chance of victory.

Noticing something fly overhead to his left Morrandir stepped back out of the way of weapons as he cursed under his breath.

The dark foe had launched large grapples with thick ropes to the higher walls, giving them a way to invade the fortress. That and they had new ladders, longer made up of three ladders beside each other, going up.

Watching as one ladder fell, thanks to a certain elven archer, Morrandir focused back on those before him. There was an endless flow of dark warriors coming towards them, like a river of icy water as the three tried to deviate its path.

Striking down three more orcs his attention was caught by Théoden. "Gimli, Aragorn, Morrandir! Get out of there!" His voice came through the crack in the wooden door.

Some orcish arms wrapped around the three as they had their backs turned. Making little work by thrusting his blades back at his sides, their capturer's hold loosened, Aragorn giving Morrandir an appreciative nod as they looked for an escape.

The gate was secured and the Causeway full.

They couldn't return the way they came unless they all had immaculate elven balance, and at the time Morrandir swayed like a leaf in a gentle breeze while on his feet.

"Aragorn!" Legolas called from above, a rope being thrown down to them.

Morrandir swiped at the limbs coming for them as Aragorn grabbed Gimli by one hand and the rope by the other. Legolas started pulling them up, soldiers upon the wall helping as well.

Morrandir put one sword back into his sheath before he leapt to catch the end of the rope.

The world became a haze again as Morrandir felt his hand brush the rope, griping it as it burned his skin. With the momentum generated by his jump Morrandir followed it through, letting the rope leave his grasp as he aimed for the Orc ladder beside them.

Latching onto the rickety contraption he dug his blade into those on the steps below him, their bodies falling and taking others with them.

Pleased with himself Morrandir hopped over the wall, finding the chaos there before grabbing a soldier to assist him in pushing the ladder off the wall. This would lessen those they had to fight if the ladders could be removed. A few arrows aided them by cutting the ropes securing the ladder, it falling back into the mass below.

Giving the soldier a thanks and nodding to Legolas Morrandir went back to fighting with his blades.

There were so many orcs and Uruk-hai upon the wall.

How had so many got up to this level?

Yells of retreat echoed in the air as Morrandir swung his blade, two heads rolling along the floor after.

It was clear they had been overrun, and maybe falling back would be a wise idea. But at the same time it nerved him. What hope did the King have that they could fight when cornered within the walls of the Keep rather than the outside where they could move freely?