Chapter 18 ✪ A War of Riders

That evening, after the decision to travel to Helm's Deep the next morning was made, Morrandir spent his time sitting on the stone steps leading up to the Great Hall.

Many people were now bustling around their homes or in village stores, gathering all the necessities for the travel and stay in Helm's Deep.

As the sun had since set and the moon had risen along with its Council of Stars, Morrandir was listening to the Council and his Lady talk. It had been a few nights since he had heard them properly, and now with Théoden back to a sane state, they were happy that the foreseen path for the Fellowship was going ahead.

While speaking, they would give Morrandir small warnings of possibilities for the next few days. With those been told, Morrandir ranked them into levels of importance as he memorised them. Even the smallest details could mean something when the time came.

With his mind busy once the sun had set Morrandir had missed out on dinner.

Legolas noticed this and saved a bowl of stew and vegetables for the Wanderer before taking it with him, prepared to search the city for the elf. And instead, he found him on the front steps.

Taking into account that Morrandir's eyes sat on the sky and a vacant expression was on his face, Legolas realised why he had not been at the table with them all. His Lady was, again, the top priority.

Sitting at his side Legolas waited until Morrandir came back to the current moment, the small wooden bowl of stew and bowl of vegetables sat neatly on his lap.

'The Prince of the Woodland is waiting for you.' A voice spoke softly while ensuring Morrandir would hear it over the other conversations occurring.

Listening to the soft voice, Morrandir returned to the real world, letting his body relax and lean against the stone steps.

"I do hope I didn't keep you waiting long." Morrandir turned his head to Legolas to mimic a glance, letting the other know he was now speaking to him.

Smiling Legolas held out the wooden bowls. He would wait to talk until Morrandir took the meal.

Gently taking the bowls from the Prince's grasp Morrandir brought them up to his nose, identifying the contents quickly.

"You didn't keep me long," Legolas told him, watching as Morrandir started to eat the food. "It actually allowed your stew to cool."

Giving a slight nod as he bit into some of the vegetables he noticed that the Council had become more silent, muffled slightly.

"Are there clouds in the sky?" Morrandir queried while glancing upwards.

Following his gaze Legolas could make out the moon's rays as some clouds blanketed it.

Chuckling Legolas answered. "There are, how do you know?"

Placing the bowls on the steps Morrandir hummed as the voices in his mind grew faint.

"The voices of the Council and my Lady have grown muffled as if they are a distance away. This is only the case when the moon is setting or clouds sit in the sky."

Giving a soft nod of understanding, Legolas leant back against the stone steps as well.

"So you knew of the plans to go to Helm's Deep?" Legolas queried in a quieter tone, one only the two elves could hear.

"My Lady foretold it, she has been telling me many things since the sun has set," Morrandir explained briefly. "They foretell a lot, but not always is everything true."

Wrapping his head around the concept Legolas gave a soft nod. There seemed to be much he was still to learn of the Lady and Council Morrandir was dedicated to.