[40]

[Wings - Birdy] (Please listen )

"baby?" George froze watching as tears began to flow down his fiancé's face. George reached out and dream stumbled away.

Dream looked from his hands up to George, he clenched his fists, "so it was all a lie?" he eventually choked out as his knuckles turned white, as blood fell from his palms due to the extent he clenched.

"ANSWER ME GEORGE!" he yelled, george flinched

"it wasn't a lie- i love you dream!"
"Bull." he scoffed "shit"

Georges own hands began to shake, the squawks of the parakeets above, taunting him.

George found himself stumbling over to dream, placing his hands on dreams cold cheeks, yet dream shoved him away. George fell into the mud and fallen leaves, as he himself began to cry.

"i just- i don't get it" Dream sobbed, wiping his nose with his sleeve.

"i can explain!"

Dream froze, images and memories of the past flashing by, times he cared and held so close to his heart. Anger boiling inside of him.

"i didn't know until recently!" george cried out

"you're lying!"

"i'm not!"

"how can you work for someone for almost three centuries and just- and just not know george! Your logic is foolish!"

"Every time, i was reincarnated at the age of seven i'd be kidnapped in the night, they'd insert something inside of me, a tracker of some form i don't know! When techno cut my wings off, he planted another one, he said that the previous one was destroyed in the fall"

"i cant trust you george- not after what karl did to sapnap"

"Dream- how can you say that! you've known me forever, baby you know that i love you" George cried as he reached out for dream.

"Do i really know that though?" Dream shook as he continued to wipe the tears.

"Please, just come with me" George extended a hand, looking from it up at dream

"You're probably taking me to get killed, aren't you"

"Don't be stupid dream, please just take my hand"

"Fine" Dream hesitantly took georges hand, george lead him through the reserve.

After around eighteen minutes of walking they reached a point.

"You're kidding me" Dream huffed snatching his hand away from george, crossing his arms.

They stood on top of a field, a single tree in the centre of it. It was an old tree, willow to be specific.

George shook his head and walked up the hill, "what are you waiting for clay?" he smirked

"i cant george" dream was frozen as he looked up at the tree that felt as if it stared him down.

"come on, i need to show you something" a weak smile was on georges face as he encouraged his fiancé, dream took a deep breath and followed him up the hill.

The grass was full of bright white daisies, dandelion tuft floating through the wind. The gentle sway of the willow branches filling the air, mixed with the sound of small birds chirping.

They reached the top of the tree, george took out his pocket knife.

He pulled the bark down slightly, revealing a list of initials.

C + H
C + P
C + L

"If i didn't love you, why would i remember this?"

"George..." Dream ran his fingers over the carvings in the tree.

"Just because i was meant to do something, doesn't mean it was by will dream. If i had known, i would've told you. I really do love you" George wiped his eyes beginning to tear up again.

"George, i don't-" he sighed "i don't know what to say" Dream looked from the initials to george, the sun setting, planting a beautiful glow of gold over georges face.

"I'm sorry"

Dream simply sighed, out stretching his hand, hesitantly george handed him the knife.

George held his eyes closed, he knew what happened to traitors.

He waited.

and waited.

But all he heard was the scratching of wood.

He opened his right eye, dream was carving at the tree.

"Clay?"

He opened his other eye, now getting a proper look.

C + G

Dream dropped the pocket knife kicking dirt over it, "we won't be needing it again george"

George sniffled, unknowing how to react.

Dream pulled him into a hug, holding him tight. George slowly released the tension he held inside of him and crumbled into the hug.

Dream closed his eyes as he held george, remembering every aspect of the past, how he'd been in this exact same position with every previous version of him.

He didn't have to worry anymore.

He was home.

Decades between the previous instances.

finally, there was no longer decades between them.

Just themselves, in the present.

with the future finally ahead of them.