Chapter Seven

Nearly two days have passed since I saw Zev. Wednesday came around almost too quickly. Since what I saw that day I've been feeling like I'm in a haze, like I'm seeing myself live.

I'm taking a wild guess that he's feeling better though, recovered really fast. He went to class today, from what I understand. We didn't walk to the university together like we usually do though. I waited for him at my place and when he didn't show I went over to his. When I knocked there was no answer, I was a little worried, because he usually has no problem being on time for class.

I called him and he just said he had to pick things up for his classes. He didn't say much else other than a 'sorry' before he hung up. His voice was dry, he seemed like he almost didn't want to talk to me. I didn't have time to overthink though, I was almost late, so I just went to class.

After my lectures I came home lazed around for a bit and here I am now, laying on my couch pondering why Zev did that this morning. It was extremely unlike him. Even if he is mad at me he's never cold like that. Well, I don't know if he's mad at me, best not to jump to conclusions.

Maybe I'll cook him up something, regardless if he's mad at me or not, there's no downside to giving him food. He should be home in a bit, I'm pretty sure he has work till around 6 today.

Should I make him brownies or roasted cauliflower lasagna... I think he'd like the brownies better. Alright then let's get down to business. I cleaned up the counter before I started, I hate messy work areas. It was a quick recipe, so I was done in under an hour.

I cleaned up as I went so there was hardly a mess leftover. I have to let them cool, 20 minutes should work fine. In that 20 minutes of waiting, I scrolled through Instagram. I looked up from my phone realizing 40 minutes had gone by. I swear this damn app has some time-travelling properties of some shit.

I cut the brownies into smaller squares and placed them in a plastic container to bring over to Zev's. I grabbed my keys off the counter and pulled my shoes on. I made sure to lock the door behind me. We didn't like in a bad neighbourhood or anything, it was mostly students in this complex or the elderly. The places were cheap. But that doesn't mean that people couldn't just come walking in.

The walk over to Zev's felt longer than usual but it was still under 20 seconds. I just can't stop thinking about if I did something to upset him.

I stood at the door hesitant to knock. The warmth from the brownies was steaming up the container. I mustered up the courage and just did it. There was no answer so I knocked again.

Nothing.

Maybe he's not home, even weirder but I guess it's whatever, I'll just leave them on the counter for him with a note. I reached for my keys and looked for the one for Zev's place. What do I write on this note? 'I'm sorry' sorry for what I don't even know if he's mad at me. Maybe 'Here, I hope these make you feel better, call me when you get the chance...? Yeah, I think that's ok.

Crap.

I put the key into the hole and turned it. When the door opened I heard music playing. I closed the door behind me, and then I realized that music was Zev.

"If I meet you in the middle maybe we could agree

You make me feel little how you're looking at me

And you can throw me shade, all it does is just cool me off

First it just threw me off, now I'm just moving on"

He was sitting on the floor shirtless still wearing his cargo pants and one sock on from work, with a guitar in his lap singing what I think was 'The Beach' by The Neighbourhood. He was faced mostly away from me, so I guess he hadn't seen me.