Chapter Eighteen

***Jasper's Mum***

It was very cold in my house. I can't believe the furnace isn't working properly again. Unbelievable, honestly.

The boys should be over any minute now. Truth be told, I really only called them here to check up on how they were. Jasper won't ever tell me if something is wrong, but when I see him I can tell. I also missed them. When they were here for Christmas it was so much fun. We baked together, watched old Christmas movies, decorated the tree, all those delightful things. I wished they could have stayed longer. And that's why I am making them come back. I don't think Jasper's actually gonna be able to fix the furnace. My son doesn't have a handy bone in his body. He got a 52 in woodshop during 9th grade. Like really, a 52? I don't even know how he managed that. The class average was 89. He would always come home with splinters and cuts on his hands.

I smiled at the thought of my son. Young and innocent. He's all grown up now. I heard the sound of a key turning the front lock. They're here. I stood up off the sofa and ran to the front door to greet them.

Jasper was the first in the house, holding their overnight bags, while Zev was rummaging through his car. Ah so they drove this time.

"Hey mum." He reached out and hugged me. He felt kinda skinny, and he looked terrible. I knew it was a good decision to call them back here. Why didn't this little twat call me.

"What's going on with you? You look sickly." I crossed my arms. After last time when he admitted he had been seeing a shadow, I've been continuously worried. I've been scared of this for the past 19 years. I'll never forget what that thing made my baby say. 'Mummy... He doesn't like you. He says he's going to hurt you really bad. The man with no face will leave for now... but he will come back to me. He will hurt me and those I love... He is the ruiner of lives. Be safe mummy.' His words continue to haunt me.

"I'm just tired, but I've been taking some pills the doctor gave me and I'm sleeping much better now, so don't worry about me." He smiled. His smile gave me some form of comfort.

"I'm going to worry about you. That's my job." As I spoke I looked behind him at Zev who was still struggling to get something out of his car.

Jasper sighed. "Yeah, I know. Still though..." Zev shut his car and made his way up to the steps.

"Oh my gosh! Zev, what happened to your face?" His face was all beaten up and bruised. Jasper looked back at him too.

Zev shrugged with a smile. "Don't worry Ms. J I'm totally fi-"

"Jasper. What happened to him?" I grabbed his shoulders.

He shook his head in disappointment. "I don't know. He won't tell me either. I'm worried too." He looked sad. So he really doesn't know what happened to his face.

Zev pouted. "Wow, thanks Jasper, just gonna throw me under the bus like that?" He scratched the back of his head with his free hand. "You guys worry too much. I'm fine really." These two, honestly, they are so easy to read. Zev wasn't okay. Something wasn't right, and I could tell Jasper thought the same thing. "Aaanyways Ms. J, I heard your furnace wasn't working. I brought my HVAC tools and all. Hopefully it's just an easy fix." Zev can fix the furnace? Why does he own all those tools? I guess I looked confused, so he explained. "I work in construction and major in civil engineering. I don't know if I actually mentioned it before. I don't really talk about school stuff, outside of school and work. But yeah I know my way around repairs and stuff." He smiled, his busted eyes closing even more that it was before.

"Oh, lord, I'm sorry to burden you with this. Jasper was supposed to fix it. I do apologize. Please do not worry about it at all. Come in come in." I took a few steps back. Zev shuffled into the house and placed his tool kit down.