.014

There are way more troopers than Greef said. Alora glares at the tens if not hundreds gathered in the town as they walk upon the gates.

"Chain code," one at the front says.

"I have a gift for the boss," Greef replies.

"Chain code."

Reluctantly, Greef hands over his ID card for the trooper to scan. "I'll give you 20 credits for the helmet."

"Not a chance," Greef laughs. "That's going on my wall."

Mando clears his throat. "On your wall?" He mutters.

"Go with it."

Alora shifts beside Mando as she watches the troopers while they walk through town. With each step, she gets slower, her breath coming out faster. "I said there'd be more," she whispers.

"You said four," Cara says. "There are more than four troopers."

"Four guarding the client," Greef says. "Many more here in town. Things got really heated once Mando crashed the safe house."

"Slip him his blaster."

"Not yet."

Alora steps a bit closer to Mando. "I don't like this," she says, her gaze darting to the empty crib. "Something feels wrong."

"Stick to the plan," he replies as they step up to the tavern.

"Here we are," Greef says as they step into the tavern. "You see—four." Four stormtroopers with guns drawn to protect the client as the man stands. "Look what I brought you. As promised."

Alora wants to cut the client's hands off as he touches Mando's armor. It's not his place to do that. "What exquisite craftsmanship. It is amazing how beautiful beskar can be when forged by its ancestral artisans. Can I offer you a libation to celebrate the closing of our shared narrative?"

Greef nods. "I would be obliged."

"Please sit." As Mando is shoved into the booth, he looks back to see Alora standing defiantly next to the crib, her eyes darting between the troopers. Two more enter the tavern. "It's a shame that your people suffered so. Just as in this situation, it was all avoidable," the client says. "Why did Mandalore resist our expansion? The Empire improves every system it touches."

She covers a scoff with a cough.

"Judge by any metric. Safety. Prosperity. Trade. Opportunity. Peace. Compare Imperial rule to what is happening now. Look outside. Is the world more peaceful since the revolution? I see nothing but death and chaos. What do you say, General?"

Alora's glare hardens. She purses her lips.

"Do you have nothing to say?"

Her gaze darts to Mando. "I remember the end of the Republic," she says, memories of screaming and pain clouding her mind. "Do you?"